This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Do you ever stroll by some cafe on State St. or hear about some delicious dish at another and think, “I’m definitely going to go there someday”? Then, you live your life: write that 6-page essay, read the SparkNotes of that book you were assigned weeks ago, and are convinced you should start paying rent at Davidson Library because of how much studying and homework you were doing there. Next thing you know, you’re heading home for the break and realized you never actually went to that cafe. Well, I’m here to save you some time and help you decide if it’s worth the trip or give you some ideas on your next breakfast adventure!

1. Andersen’s Danish Bakery and Restaurant 

Its 10 am on a Tuesday and State St. is quiet. The sun woke up a few hours ago just like I did and it’s not too hot for an autumn morning. My friend and I chose to sit outside and had an acoustic soundtrack to accompany our morning gossip. A guitarist (not provided by the cafe) is always seemed to be spotted there so if you’re lucky, you’ll get to enjoy his music while you eat.

I ordered the croissant french toast with strawberry compote in lieu of raspberry sauce and was not disappointed. It was crispy and fluffy but most importantly, it was a delicious take on the classic breakfast staple.  The strawberry compote was very sweet like strawberry candy and I found myself eating it by itself.

The review of my friend’s choice of dish — charlotte’s omelet (French creamy Brie, fresh tomatoes and spinach, a little garlic, and bacon) — is short. All she could say to the waiter and I was that it was really good so maybe that’s all you need to convince you to try it!

TLDR: The environment, the staff, and the food were great and I highly recommend treating yourself to breakfast here. 

Address: 1106 State St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101

2. Jeannine’s 

This cafe is for a more casual breakfast experience. You order first and then find a seat which could be more of your style. Think of it as an in-between restaurant and Starbucks. The exterior is shabby chic while the interior is more contemporary with its neon sign and lights but somehow they tie together seamlessly. 

I had a simple waffle with berries dish and it was just that — simple. There was nothing special about it and to be honest, I could live having never eaten there. However, the hot chocolate had cute latte art and that I really appreciated considering it was overpriced. I paid close to $17 for the whole meal and I don’t know if it’s worth it. 

What I liked best is that it was close to school. The Goleta location is across the street from Costco, Best Buy, etc. which is great if you want to treat yourself to a nicer breakfast without having to go to Downtown Santa Barbara. 

TLDR: Casual cafe with decent food and a location near campus.

Address: 7060 Hollister Ave Suite 105, Goleta, CA 93117

3. Crushcakes

I sacrificed my day to sleep in to have breakfast at Crushcakes and I am not even mad about it. Their layout is interesting and I love that they have a lot of seating inside as well as outside. They have an intriguing menu and I am actually going to start eating there more often. 

What brought me to Crushcakes was the red velvet pancakes and I knew I had to try them. I will say that they were far from red velvet. While the color was right, the taste wasn’t. It tasted like a normal pancake with food dye and the frosting was buttercream and not cream cheese. To be frank, I didn’t mind that the pancake wasn’t red velvet but the cream cheese frosting was such a miss here. 

TLDR: Cute spot with a unique menu and many seats.  

Address: 1315 Anacapa St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101

4. Hook & Press Donuts

You can debate all you want on whether or not donuts count as breakfast but what you can’t deny is that this is a cute cafe. Tucked away into a cranny between Old Navy and Free People, this gem is going all out on aesthetic. From the plants to the tiled entrance to the black and white art, I was feeling more hip and trendy by the second.

There wasn’t a vast selection of donuts but what they did have made you want to try all of them. Ultimately, I ended up choosing Horchata Crumbs and my friend chose Coastal Fog. My donut was cinnamon and glaze heaven and was different than any other donut I’ve had before. Coastal Fog was a blend of mint and citrus. A unique, refreshing taste that I didn’t know a donut could have. I mean to call a donut refreshing is kind of weird but to my friend, it was just right. I also really enjoyed drinking my water out of a stainless steel cup and will admit that aesthetic tableware will always impress me. 

I will also add that this is the only cafe where I thought you could actually study and work and that’s exactly why I’ll be in downtown SB more often. 

TDLR: This is the perfect breakfast spot if you want a great selection of donuts and an aesthetic study place. 

Address: 1131 State St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Rosalie is a 4th year English major who has a double minor in art and technology and professional writing for multimedia. It is not uncommon to find the Los Angeles native online shopping, working on her creative projects, or dreaming about being Carrie Bradshaw.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus