courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Confessions of a Contradictory Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

You may be wondering what I could I possibly mean when I say that I am a contradictory introvert. Why else would you be reading this, right? Well, it may sound strange but it’s actually a rather common thing to think and feel! An introvert can plain and simply be described as a shy person, or better yet, a person that would prefer a solo night watching netflix to a night raging at a nightclub.

Where an extravert feels revitalized when surrounded by people, an introvert will actually find that being surrounded by a lot of people is slightly draining. It’s hard to go out and socialize when it makes you feel a little uncomfortable. So, as you may have been able to tell, I am a self professed introvert. But what makes me a contradiction, you ask? The fact that I WANT to go out and make friends, I want to out to parties and bars and socialize, but unfortunately I find that it takes A LOT of energy out of me to do so. I also find that I feel awkward, because I’m not amazing at starting up conversations. Lets just say, I’m not a social butterfly. If I stay to myself too often I start feeling lonely and even a bit unbalanced overall. I need to socialize, like everyone else I’m sure, but I have to be honest and admit that it always takes me out of my… independent element.

The solution? Well, I guess if it were as easy as simply deciding to be an extravert instead, most would make that choice. I’m sure it’s not impossible, but it would be an exhausting transition of mindset. I would have to say an introvert who feels the way that I do might find that they need to work on their balance. Maybe spend more time alone, but take the time and effort to put yourself out there with friends at times too. Also, if you find a good group of friends, you’ll find that you feel more comfortable going out and about because you’re surrounded by people you don’t need to feel awkward around. Shout out and best of luck to all who are as confusing in their way of thinking as I am!

My name is Lauren MacDonald and I am the former campus correspondent and editor in chief of Her Campus UCSB. While at UCSB, I dedicated much of my time to Her Campus as I strongly believe in its ability to empower women to tell their stories. I graduated in 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay