Brain Boosting Tips For Dead Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With dead week and finals, I think we could all use as many tips for success as possible. Natural brain boosters can help stimulate mental activity, making you more focused and motivated to conquer those finals!

GINKGO BILOBA.

I have been using ginkgo biloba since last quarter and let me tell you, it is magic. Ginkgo biloba is the leaf of the gingko tree, one of the oldest plants on the planet. The gingko leaf is either made into a tea or pill form (I usually buy it from the IV Food Co-op).

Research has shown that ginkgo biloba improves oxygen flow to the brain, improving attention span and memory.

GREEN TEA.

Green tea is one of the healthiest drinks in the entire world. Caffeine is the natural brain-booster found in tea. Green tea also contains L-Theanine. These two things together have been proven to reduce mental fatigue and increase your memory.

Since dead week calls for a lot of focus and memorization, opt for a cup of green tea to boost your mental awareness, boost your concentration, and improve your memory.

EXERCISE.

Physical Exercise helps your brain stay sharp by enhancing the effects of healthy chemicals in the brain and reducing stress hormones. Choose any exercise that gets your blood pumping. Even a short walk can reboot your brainpower and increase mental focus. Also, doing some sort of exercise the morning before your finals will really you help you relieve that built up stress and anxiety that most of us get on exam day.

DARK CHOCOLATE (Aka Sugar).

Yes, sugar can be beneficial for you. When you are strung out from studying, eat some dark chocolate for a quick brain booster. Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants that help increase mental focus and concentration, which is key when finals are approaching. However, eating sugar in moderation is the important thing here.

HEALTHY FOODS.

Eating well is good for your overall mental health. The brain requires certain nutrients to properly function. It can be hard to eat healthy, especially with always being surrounded by good food, but during these next few weeks of stress, eating healthy can really benefit you. Opt for foods such as whole grains, berries, tomatoes, broccoli, nuts (any kind), avocados, fish, and beans. All of these foods have been proven to stimulate the brain and increase blood flow.

COFFEE.

Most of us are coffee lovers. Coffee is good for you in moderation. One or two cups can improve alertness and power the brain temporarily. If you can, opt for green tea instead because it is better for you overall, but if you are like me and love your coffee, try minimizing your intake and avoiding all the ‘extra’ stuff when ordering at Starbucks. But like I said, in moderation coffee has been proven to do amazing things for brainpower.

SUSHI.

(Or any kind of fish really, including fish oil)

I mean any excuse to eat sushi is awesome!

Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are absolutely amazing for you and help improve your memory, so eat up!

A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP.

Instead of cramming your studying for the night before your final, plan ahead! Start studying a week or so prior. This way you can get a better night sleep the night before your finals and wake up feeling refreshed and mentally prepared to take the exam.

We can do this, Gauchos! Dominate those finals!

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.