Is The Bold Type the GirlBoss Show of the Century?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Freeform’s fearless new drama, The Bold Type, has just wrapped its first season, full of amazing #GirlBoss moments. The show boasts a hundred percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has infiltrated the internet with gifs that will make you say, “YAAS GIRL YAAS!”

The Bold Type features three ambitious young women in New York City, climbing their way up the career ladder at Scarlet magazine. This Cosmopolitan-esque magazine gives us a glimpse of what it’s like to be in the media business in today’s age. Jane Sloan is a newly promoted writer at the magazine after working as an intern for several years.  Her best friend, Kat Edison, is the social media director after also working up from an internship, while their other bestie, Sutton Brady, is struggling to move up from an assistant position. The show explores what it’s like to be a modern female in the workplace, as well as figuring out life and relationships as a millennial. The trio have an impeccable bond, and they work together to figure out solutions to each individual’s current dilemma.

My favorite aspect about the The Bold Type is that they do not shy away from serious, real topics that are not usually depicted on TV. The show discusses sexual assault, intersectional feminism, LGBTQ+ struggles, women’s health issues, and much more. The Bold Type caused much controversy in its inclusion of a lesbian, Muslim woman, further proving that we need more shows like this one to break taboo boundaries. I also love how this show strays away from any cliches or stereotypes with the situations and characters. The show feels so real and eerily on the nail when it comes to current culture and struggles. Do not sleep on this show, friends!

All images via Pinterest

Ava Kargosha is a first year Psychology and Brain Sciences major at UCSB. She loves reading, writing, drinking Arnold Palmers, and frantically catching up on TV shows.