Bear: Excursion Club’s Mascot and UCSB’s Favorite Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you are a member of Excursion Club at UCSB, you’ve probably already met this week’s Campus Celebrity! Bear is the official mascot of UCSB Excursion Club, and is also the Security Guard of the Excursion Club house backyard. As a highly-regarded staff member with plenty of experience leading hikes throughout Santa Barbara, Bear was kind enough to meet with us for a Q&A!

What are your duties as a staff member for Excursion Club?

“I used to live at Excursion Club before my owners moved. That was back when I was on full time guard-dog duty. I would chill in the epic backyard, lazing on the old couches, and though I seemed drowsy, I was ever vigilant to each member that came in to get gear. I also co-lead trips with my human staff members. Hiking and backpacking and long walks on the beach are my favorite trips, but I can’t stand getting my fur wet, so kayaking and SUPing are definitely out. Oh, and did I mention that I am the Excursion Club Mascot? No one can resist my ice-blue eyes and thick black coat. I’m definitely a ladies-dog, and the bitches just can’t get enough. “

Best excursion you’ve led?

“Probably the Colorado River Trip. I led a group of 40 humans up to the Hoover Dam. They paddle me around while I get to lay in the bottom of the canoe, snug and dry. We hike, enjoy the hotsprings, make amazing food, and a lot more. It may seem like I’m just kicking it around the camp fire, but I’m actually the brains behind the whole operation.”

Do you get along well with other animals? What about cats?

“Despite my stunning outer beauty and diva attitude, I’m actually a super chiller. I love all animals! I even saw some barnyard animals at the SOL Food Festival, and I was so eager to play. They wouldn’t let me, though.Cats, on the other hand, well… I’d be willing to hang out, but they always seem to be afraid of me. :(Oh, and when I said I love all animals, I lied. I f*ing hate racoons and their smirky little masked faces. Coming in my backyard? I don’t think so.”

What breed are you?

“Its kind of a long story. You see, I was found roaming the streets of LA when I was less than a year old. I was just a pup; I didn’t know that I was living a life of crime, eating out of dumpsters and sleeping wherever I liked. I was headed down a dark road, but then I got rescued by Husky Haven Shelter. They took really good care of me, and eventually I was adopted by this awesome guy and taken to live at Excursion Club. It’s been smooth sailing ever since. To answer your question, I don’t really know. Some mix of husky and Belgian shepherd, they think. But hey, the mystery is part of my charm. I get mistaken for being half wolf all the time.”

Favorite food?

“MEAT. Or cheese. I may be full grown, but I’ve got a puppy face that will melt your heart and make you share. ;)”

Favorite/best thing about Excursion Club?

“Definitely the people. Don’t get me wrong, I love getting outdoors as much as the next dog, but the community we have made in this club is really unique and supportive. I can’t even walk into a club meeting without getting a dozen head scratches and hearing them ask “who’s a good boy?” (Spoiler: I’m a good boy). It is true what they say: man is dog’s best friend!”

Bear belongs to Excursion Club at UCSB Staff Member, Suzanne (Suzie) Vieira. Find out more about Excursion Club at UCSB at http://excursionclubucsb.org

Allison is a Global Studies major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is the Assistant Editor at Her Campus UCSB a contributor to the chapter's Instagram, @hercampusucsb. Allison believes that life is about balances, but that you can never have too many breakfast burritos. You can follow Allison's personal Instagram at @allycnco for life around Santa Barbara, good eats, and travels!