The Balance Between Catering to Your SO’s Interests and Maintaining Your Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

You and your SO are excited to be moving through life together. Peas in a pod, but not attached at the hip, per say. Here are some thoughts to keep in mind when you are navigating your relationship.

1. Keep an open mind

Take some time to learn about their interests. It’s a game of give and take—they watch your favorite movie, and you listen to their favorite band. Easy as that!

Image via Odyssey

2. Don’t ever pretend to be interested in what he/she likes to do

Image via Giphy

AKA, don’t be fake.

3. Life is a balance

Image via Bustle

It sounds very formal, but having a partner is a substantial time commitment! Not to mention emotionally investing in someone isn’t easy for all (and takes practice)! Life is a balance, and being in a relationship is only one weight on the scale. Time and energy spent on someone who makes you happy is a wonderful thing, but be sure to make time for other things that are important to you in your life, whether that is other friends, family, school, work, and hobbies. A partner who is good for you will understand this.

4. A happy Boo is a happy you

You should be encouraging your partner to maintain their friendships with others.

And be sure that you and bae aren’t so needy that neither of you gets anything done. The world won’t stop turning, no matter how great things get! It’s important to be independent.

Image via Giphy

Boo loves you for who you are. You don’t want to suddenly become single and have an identity crisis. Keep your single self close in your relationship. Remember who you were before you were in the relationship and make a point not to forget.

As a Biology major pursuing a Writing Minor, HerCampus ensures that writing remains a part of my everyday life. Food, sustainability, science, feminism... my articles reflect my passions and allow me to communicate with readers about student life and the beautiful UC Santa Barbara community.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)