alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Art of Detachment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Life has an interesting way of placing certain people and certain events at specific moments of our life. So much can happen all in a span of a year, a month, and even in a moment. Life happens in a way that feels fast and slow all at the same time. It is steadily moving and evolving, and there’s this overwhelming yet exciting feeling that flows from all of that change. I’ve come to understand that everything in this world is temporary. Emotions, thoughts, people, and even our current state in life. It is in our human nature to want to cling onto the things of this world that make life worth living. As humans, we have this habit of trying to control every single thing that happens in our life. However, sometimes there are parts of it that we have absolutely no power over.  Thus, brings us to the art of detachment.

“Detachment is an art of enjoying something while always being open to the possibility of losing it someday…” -John B. Beja

When I first heard this, I thought it was a bit of a depressing quote, but the more that I wrestled with the concept I realized there is something so true and so empowering about detachment. I find it relevant and applicable to everyone because we all experience that desire to hold onto that moment, that idea, that someone, that something, and sometimes we invest in it so much that we are afraid that we cannot live without it.

With detachment, comes this sense of freedom. Freedom from relying on others and material things of this world to fulfill our own happiness. The art of detachment teaches that true happiness is found and starts from within oneself.

“Detachment is not that you should own nothing, but that nothing should own you.” -Ali ibn Abi Talib

It is not to say that those people, material things and moments are not gifts to our lives nor are they not meant to be enjoyed. Rather, they are an opportunity to fully embrace life, to practice gratitude, to learn and grow as individuals, and to serve others. Life is full of uncertainties, and when one learns to take full advantage of these gifts and allows them to positively influence one’s life and the lives around them- that is living.

Image via pexels.com

Kyrene is a third year Global Studies major. She is an Editorial Intern and a PR Intern for UCSB Her Campus. Kyrene is from the southern Californian city of Covina. She enjoys meeting people, exploring new places, and taking roadtrips with friends. On her spare time, you can find her playing guitar, experimenting with outfits, relaxing with music, or catching up with shows on her "to watch" list.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)