Alex Siegers: the Stunner from Down Under

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Alex Siegers

Hometown: Port Macquarie, Australia

Year: 5th

Major: Bachelor of Music (Jazz Voice)/Bachelor of Arts (Asian Studies/Linguistics)

How did you find yourself at UCSB after growing up and studying in Australia?

After spending my gap year living in London, UK, I was determined to spend some more time living and studying overseas. I applied to the Sydney Abroad exchange program once I had completed the music requirements of my degree. After studying the list of exchange locations offered all around the world, it was the sun and the sand that ended up influencing my final decision. I applied to the University of California, and I was lucky enough to be placed at UCSB! I did a ‘real’ winter once, and that was enough for me.

Where is your favorite place to explore so far?

I love riding my bicycle along all the coastal trails in the Santa Barbara area. I have yet to ride the whole way from IV to Downtown, but it is on my to-do list! I also had a great weekend away up in Big Sur, hiking through redwoods and laughing at the elephant seals on Highway 1. I would love to spend more time there one day.

Tell us about your musical projects:

While I am in the USA I have been performing around IV with my looping station. I am using a BOSS RC-3, so my options are a limited at the moment in terms of the textures I can create. I am hoping to invest in a bigger unit soon. I was lucky enough to be featured with my looping station on UCSB Amplified the other week, which was so exciting. I am also involved with the Jazz program within the Music Department. I sing with a jazz combo as well as the big band. I’m really looking forward to the concert at the end of the Winter Quarter.

Back in Sydney I sing regularly with The Choir of St James, King St. They are actually going on a 4 week tour of the UK and Europe the week that I get back from exchange at UCSB. I am devastated that I am missing out! I also am involved with Vocal Australia and do freelance acapella work with them. I used to run an acapella group at The University of Sydney while I lived on campus there and I am really hoping to get my own group off the ground soon.

If you could never sing again or never interact with anyone but fellow Sydney-siders/travel outside Sydney, which would you choose?

It really pains me but I would choose to never travel outside of Sydney again. Singing makes me so happy and takes me so many places in it’s own way. I am hard pressed to think of things that trump singing. Anyway, Sydney is so multicultural, maybe not being able to travel outside of Sydney might give me an opportunity to explore my own backyard! It would really suck, though. 

How does UCSB compare to the University of Sydney?

Isla Vista is such a unique microcosm – I don’t think there is anywhere like it anywhere else in the world! Sydney University is right in the heart of Sydney (Australia’s biggest city) so there is a lot more hustle and bustle and a lot fewer beach and burrito breaks between classes. There are some beautiful beaches in Sydney though and it is so nice to go for sunset swims. Sydney University also has more of a Hogwarts feel than UCSB; when I am trying to describe Sydney University’s Great Hall and residential colleges I always use Hogwarts as an example.

Finally, where can we keep enjoying the sweet caress of your Australian accented voice?

Facebook – alexsiegersmusic

Instagram – alexsiegersmusic

Twitter – asiegersmusic

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.