This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

One of the most challenging obstacles that people face in college is deciding on their major. There seems to be this immense pressure to pick something you like and are passionate about, but also something that will set you up well for grad school, the work force, or wherever you go post-grad. But, it’s difficult for students to identify what they want to do for the rest of their lives, especially during a period of time when they are still technically growing up. I got my driver’s license two years ago and now I need to think about what will set me up well for law school? The timeline feels off. 

Maybe not everyone feels this pressure, but I sure did, and the best decision I have made since being at UCSB was to reach out to the academic advisors at the College of Letters and Science. Here’s why you should, too!

Let me provide some background information. I had my heart set on becoming a developmental psychologist for as long as I can remember, so choosing to go into UCSB as a Pre-Psych and Brain Sciences major was, well, a no-brainer. Unfortunately, I quickly realized I made a mistake. I am not what one might refer to as a “STEM girlie,” considering I have some of the worst analytical and mathematical skills known to man. My chemistry class proved this lovely fact to me repeatedly, almost with contempt. 

I felt lost. I had my heart set on psychology for so long, but I knew my skill set and time could be better used on another path — one that did not require extensive chemistry and math. I decided to do a brief Google search on academic advising at UCSB, specifically in my current college, the College of Letters and Science. 

I much prefer to have an existential crisis in person, so on a crisp Friday morning, I walked down to 1117 Cheadle Hall for advising drop-in hours. I was greeted immediately, and about three minutes later I was sitting in a chair opposite an advisor. Rob, the advisor available during the time I went, spent the next 30 or so minutes not only answering my questions, but genuinely listening to my concerns and providing me with resources to find the right path for me. 

I was relieved to know that I could switch majors easily (disclaimer: I am a freshman), and that I could do so without deciding on any post-college plans right now. He made me feel like everything was alright, and that even though I was struggling a lot with my current classes, I didn’t have to continue to struggle down this path to find success. 

I left Cheadle Hall with hope, and even some excitement, for my future. In a time when there’s stigma surrounding switching majors, especially moving from something STEM-related to something in the arts or humanities, Rob told me the only thing that mattered was choosing a career I was interested in, and everything else would fall into place. 

Academic advising helped me with far more than figuring out what classes to take and how to maximize my GPA (though it did help with those things); it allowed me to take a breather and reconnect with the fact that sometimes overcommitting and excessively challenging yourself is not for the best. 

Everyone has a different skill set, and just because a certain major might seem like a one-way ticket to success does not mean it will be. The most important thing you can do for yourself and your career is to find a major that aligns not only with your natural abilities but also with your interests. 

What academic advising can do for you is help you find that major, because if you are like me, you probably will have never heard of half the majors recommended to you during your session, but many of them will intrigue you. If you are struggling with your classes, feeling disinterested in your major, or even seeking alternative options just to see what’s out there, I cannot recommend advising enough; it really could change your life. 

A great place to start is by either reaching out to your specific advising office by phone, making an in-person appointment, or by walking into your designated location during drop-in advising hours (preferably in the morning for better availability). The website for each college’s advising, along with phone numbers and addresses, can be found below.

1.) College of Letters and Science

2.) College of Creative Studies

3.) College of Engineering

My greatest hope is that someone reading this will decide to try out advising, even if it means stepping out of their comfort zone. I promise, your greatest potential awaits!

Ally Jobe

UCSB '27

Ally is a first year Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara, where she finds particular joy in running, reading poetry, and admiring the sunset. She is elated to be a part of such an amazing group of writers, and she hopes, above all, that her work brightens your day.