This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Fall has finally arrived! School has begun, the warm Summer weather is coming to an end, and it is time to prepare for the holiday season ahead. Although Southern California doesn’t quite get to experience the color-changing leaves and brisk weather like other regions, we can still embrace Fall with the festive activities and events Santa Barbara has to offer. From trying local coffee shops’ new flavors, to carving jack-o-lanterns, to taking a spooky tour of historic Santa Barbara, there are plenty of ways to take some time to get in the fall spirit.

Pumpkin Patches

Visiting a local pumpkin patch is one of the most classic activities to partake in once the Fall season begins. Embrace your inner child by riding hayrides, feeding farm animals, escaping a corn maze, and of course, picking the perfect pumpkin. Dedicating an afternoon to immerse yourself in the festive Fall atmosphere is a great way to begin celebrating. In Santa Barbara, you can visit Lane Farms off of Hollister or Big Wave Dave’s in La Cumbre Plaza, both of which are open every day in the month of October. There are pumpkins of all sizes to choose from and many other fun activities to experience with friends or family. The pumpkin patches are also a great photo opportunity to freshen up your feed for the fall season!

Farmers’ Markets

Santa Barbara is known for its quality agriculture, and its farmers’ markets provide some of the best fresh, local produce that is perfect for Fall recipes. At both Goleta and Downtown locations, there are hundreds of vendors selling fresh fruits, vegetables, and other small goods. Roaming around the farmers’ markets allows you to not only browse for ingredients for all of your Halloween and Thanksgiving meals but, also connect with members of the community. You could also pick out produce and snacks for a picnic with friends to embrace the outdoor Fall ambiance. Bake some cookies, organize a charcuterie board, and bring some warm drinks to the Santa Barbara Mission for an adventure, or Devereux beach for somewhere local. 

Coffee Shops

The Fall season is surrounded by the strong aromas of cinnamon and spice. Drinking cozy or flavorful drinks are a distinct transition from Summer to Autumn. If you’re on the go in-between classes or checking out a new coffee shop to study in, trying a new Fall drink is one way to get into the fall spirit. Of course, at every Starbucks, you can get the classic pumpkin spice latte, either hot or iced, if you want something sweet and familiar, but perhaps you can try more local coffee places. Dart Coffee Co has a delicious seasonal pumpkin spice latte and Handlebar Coffee Roaster’s dirty chai latte is perfect for the fall vibes, even though it can be ordered year-round. Even Caje, the local Isla Vista favorite, has great beverages, but try visiting one of its other locations for a broader menu selection. Regardless of your go-to coffee drink, trying the classic Fall flavors is an absolute must to get in the spirit.

Trader Joe’s Seasonal Snacks

The beginning of Fall also means that Trader Joe’s’ long-awaited seasonal launch has finally arrived. They have everything from sweet treats, breads, and pastries to savory soups and pastas, all flavored in classic butternut squash or pumpkin spices. Trader Joe’s’ affordable, yet delicious meals are perfect for any college student trying to cook something for themselves or with friends to celebrate the season. With their seemingly limitless menu of seasonal treats, Trader Joe’s is the perfect place to shop to celebrate Fall throughout all meals of the day. Check out this article by Delish to get a complete list of this year’s Fall goodies!

Santa Barbara Ghost Tours

As Halloween creeps up around the corner, it is the perfect time to get in a spooky mood. You might not be aware that Santa Barbara offers ghost tours all year round, but they are especially fitting for this time of year. Experience walking around historic, and even haunted, Santa Barbara neighborhoods while listening to spine-chilling ghost stories along the way. Some ghost tour packages even include cocktails or wine tasting for those over the age of 21. You can choose a tour during the daytime, or at night, for the ultimate scary experience. This is a fun pre-Halloween activity with friends or on a date with a significant other to get in the holiday spirit!

Activities on Halloween Weekend

If you’re staying in town for Halloween and have nothing to do, especially because of Isla Vista’s strict Halloween mandate, there are so many weekend activities to indulge in to embrace the holiday. If you’re over the age of 21, there is a Halloween Pub Crawl in Downtown Santa Barbara where you can celebrate in costume with your friends and meet new people along the way. Another 21+ event is attending the Creep the Hall Midnight Circus at the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum. There will be food, drinks, dancing, and performances to enjoy, all celebrated in costume to support a fundraiser for the museum’s education programs. Spend a night on the town with some friends and relish the spooky weekend!

Of course, there are still ways to enjoy the holiday weekend without being 21 years old. To embrace your inner child, visit a Haunted House with friends and laugh or scream at the frightening costumes and jump scares. This Haunted House’s neighborhood in Santa Barbara also has fascinating decorations at every house to browse or drive by. If you’d rather stay in and relax, watch some Halloween classics! Whether you prefer scary movies like Scream, Insidious, or Paranormal, or prefer fun movies like Halloweentown, Hocus Pocus, or Ghostbusters, the weekend is a perfect time to snuggle up with a blanket and festive snacks to enjoy the holiday. 

Although the Fall quarter can be overwhelming with new classes and busy schedules, taking the time to celebrate a fun-loving occasion can only boost our spirits. I encourage you to try something new this Fall, explore Santa Barbara’s beauty, and check out all of its wonderful local activities and events to get excited for the rest of the cozy season.

Nina Breister is the Co-Campus Coordinator and Head of PR for UCSB's chapter of Her Campus. She is a fourth-year Communication major pursuing the Professional Writing minor & TMP certificate. Originally from San Diego, Nina adores the warm weather and has grown to love Santa Barbara as her second home. In her free time, she enjoys journaling, going to the beach, playing the drums, and dancing.