Coming to UCSB was hands down one of the best decisions I have ever made. In my first year, I was able to broaden my horizons in nearly every aspect of my life. But from the vibe of IV’s community, to the hundreds of people students get to meet in their college career, it’s really easy to get caught up and overwhelmed as a Freshman. Here are a few things that I learned in my years at UCSB:
- You’re Not in High School Anymore– It’s a hard transition to UCSB when you realize that you are literally nowhere on the map. In a school of tens of thousands of students, it’s too easy to get lost amongst the masses. Don’t fret, you’ll find your nitch. From clubs to sports teams to Greek life, you will be more than capable of meeting tons of friends that have a lot more in common with you than you think.
- Get a U-Lock! Although your rusted bike may not be the most valuable item you have, that doesn’t mean that Sticky Fingers lingering outside your class wouldn’t mind having it. Make sure you ALWAYS lock your bike! It might seem unimportant now, but waking up to realize you have no mode of transportation to your 8AM final is NOT the way to start your day!
- Don’t Bike Drunk- Surprisingly enough, the punishments for BUI’s are just as harsh as DUI’s. If you wouldn’t drive drunk, would you bike?
- Portola’s Not as Bad as it Sounds– Okay, so FT’s dining commons have the reputation for less than tasty meals. Don’t be too quick to judge. Granted, Jack Johnson didn’t write about it in a song (who would have thought he’d meet his wife in DLG?), but it’s still good food! Not to mention, maybe the meals will help with the issue of Freshman Fifteen…
- Respect Your Roommate– Even if you’re not the best of friends, it doesn’t mean you can’t be great roommates. Be quiet when they’re studying, make an effort to get to know their friends, and respect their space! The room belongs to them as much as it belongs to you.
- Study as Hard as You Play– Party as hard as you want on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but make sure you dedicate Sunday to hitting the library. There’s always going to be parties going on, but remember how much you’re paying to attend the University!
- Watch Out for Creepy Guys-The prowlers of Isla Vista love freshmen girls. Don’t be deceived- they know EXACTLY what they’re doing. Before you fall head over heels for the ‘hottest senior EVER’, make sure you take a step back and check his motives.
- Don’t Leave Your Drink Unattended! Although it’s a common myth about college parties, DON’T LEAVE YOUR DRINKS UNATTENDED!! You never know what sketchy guys can be lurking around the corner.