8 Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Let’s get real here – there are very few things that top the comfort of your bed, Netflix, and snacks. Lots of snacks. Celebrate Valentine’s Day with some R&R and cozy up in bed with some wine and the rom com of your choice. Or make it a Galentine’s Day celebration and text your friends to binge watch all 8 movies in one sitting. It’s doable, believe me. 

1. 13 Going on 30

This classic rom com features Jennifer Garner as Jenna, a 13 year old girl who wakes up after an embarrassing game of Seven Minutes in Heaven to find herself 30 years old now. Living in New York City as a chic magazine editor, she searches for her childhood best friend Matt (played by Mark Ruffalo) to help her make sense of it all. 

2. Sleepless in Seattle

Tom Hanks stars as Sam, a single dad whose son signs him up for a radio show in hopes of finding a new mom for. Sam talks about the immense love he had for his dead wife and soon enough the whole nation falls in love with him, including Annie (Meg Ryan), a journalist who travels to Seattle to meet Sam.  

3. The Sweetest Thing

The ultimate rom com for a night in with the girls, The Sweetest Thing shows three best friends in their 20s figuring out their love lives and learning to stop with the mind games. When Christina (Cameron Diaz) meets “Mr. Right” at a club and realizes she will never see him again, she goes on a road trip with her best friend to find him. 

4. Stuck in Love

This indie romance has a star-studded cast, including Jennifer Connelly, Lily Collins, Nat Wolff, and Logan Lerman (The Perks of Being a Wallpaper). The movie follows a family of writers and each of their blossoming, dying, and complicated romantic relationships. From a teenage boy losing his V card, to a college girl learning to let her guards down, this movie will make you feel all the feelings. 

5. Hitch

Do I even need to summarize this for you? Probably not, but whatever. Hitch is a laugh-out-loud rom com about a “date doctor” (Will Smith) who helps guys who otherwise wouldn’t have a chance land the woman of their dreams. Things get complicated when Hitch falls in love with a journalist who doesn’t know about his secret job. 

6. Notting Hill

Anna is the most famous A-lister at the time and Will is a small bookstore owner in England. When Anna comes into Will’s shop, their instant connection leads to a relationship that must go through the bumps that come with fame and misunderstanding. We can’t forget the iconic line, “I’m also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.”

7. One Day

Emma and Max are two friends from college who should be together but aren’t. Their flirtatious relationship takes place over the years where they fall in and out (and back in) love with each other. 

8. While You Were Sleeping

Sandra Bullock plays Lucy, a lonely train station cashier who has a major crush on the hot train station regular. When she rescues him from a train accident leaving him in a coma, she gets mistaken for his fiancé at the hospital. After becoming one of the family, Lucy ends up falling in love with the customer’s adorable brother and…let’s just say things get weird. 

Maya is currently a third year Communications major at UCSB and a San Francisco native. As an previous editorial intern for HC and current Campus Correspondent, Maya loves to write about her NOMtastic food endeavors and the laid back fashion and style of California. With an interest in magazine editorial writing and public relations, Maya plans to pursue these fields as she continues to add a little more spice to every Collegiate’s life!