etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Pick-Me-Up Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Although fall means time for Thanksgiving, cute boots, and pretty leaves, it also means it gets dark earlier in the day and very cold at night. If this change in time and weather has been bringing you down, here are some things to pick you right back up:

1. Treat Yo Self

We all need a little “me time” every now and then. Make some time in your schedule to do things you really enjoy but don’t get to do very often, like get a manicure or bake your favorite treats.

2. Treat A Friend

Invite your friend out for some coffee or dessert and offer to treat. It gives you two the chance to chat and will definitely bring a smile to both of your faces!

3. Go For A Technology- Free Walk

Try leaving your phone in your purse or pocket and take a moment to enjoy our beautiful surroundings here in Santa Barbara. It’s important to take a break from social media and texting, and step outside to breathe in some crisp autumn air.

4. Friends Night In

Don’t be afraid to turn down a party and stay in with your friends to watch some Netflix and eat some snacks. Especially with the nights getting colder, you probably wouldn’t mind drinking some hot cocoa instead of a beer.

5. Write

With all the work we already have to do for class, writing may seem like the last thing you’d want to do, but it’s a great way to reflect. Writing is much more enjoyable when you don’t have to worry about other readings or receiving a grade.

6. Look at old photos with friends

It’s always fun (and sometimes embarrassing) to look back with old friends to reminisce about all the good times you’ve all shared. You can also bond with new friends by sharing pictures and telling funny stories about your past adventures.

7. Try Something New

Whether it’s trying a new drink at Starbucks, or challenging yourself by going for a run, stepping outside of your normal routine will add some excitement to your day!

8. Listen to Your Old Favorite Music

Whether it was Nsync, Simple Plan, or Spice GIrls, play it loud and play it proud! It will give you a good laugh and allow you to connect with your friends about all the ridiculous (yet still fun and catchy!) tunes you all liked when you were younger.

Amber is a 4th year English major from Long Beach, CA. Some of her favorite pastimes include watching sunsets, eating burritos, and enjoying a good book outside on sunny days. She was bitten by the travel bug while spending a semester abroad in Australia and wants to explore the world! She hopes to land a career that allows her to do two of the things she loves the most- travel and write. Catch up with her on Instagram at @amber_bamm.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.