7 Things You Need to Be Buying at Thrift Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Shopping on a college budget is no joke. You have more financial freedom than you did in high school, but with that freedom comes the knowledge that looming ahead in the not-so-distant future are all the student loan repayments. The thought’s daunting, to say the least, but that’s no reason you can’t treat yourself to a great buy once in a while. And if you can save some money on those trips, then you know you’re doing something right.

Question is: Is there anything you’re already buying that you would be better off buying at a thrift store? Let’s find out.

Special Occasion Dresses

Image from Beauty & The Beast

Last year, I went to the Women’s Choice Awards Show in Hollywood. Problem was, it had a formal dress code, and the nicest dress I owned was my senior prom dress, which I didn’t even have with me. Now, I could have gone and bought a new dress, worn it once, and then forgotten about it, but instead, I went to a thrift shop.

The beauty of thrift shops (especially in a place so expensive as SB) is that people tend to donate nice dresses that they’ve only worn once or twice, which means that you can snag a like-new dress in any number of styles for a fraction of the cost. Whether that special occasion is a costume party, a banquet, a rave, or whatever, there’s a solid chance you’ll find the perfect dress at a thrift shop nearby.

Used Books

Image from iCarly

Maybe I’m just a sucker for buying books (okay, I’m definitely a sucker for books), but thrift stores are awesome in that they usually have a great collection of used books for dirt cheap. On my last run, I got a hardcover copy of The Fault in Our Stars among other titles for 2 bucks a pop. It’s one of the best ways to build up your personal library. Plus, you get that same sense of excitement as shopping at a bookstore back in the day – no Amazon or Goodreads to influence your choice. Just you.

Jewelry

Image from South Park

This one’s actually super important in my opinion. Thrift stores often have a ton of nice jewelry that people donated because they got tired of the style. And unless the thrift shops you frequent are really terrible (in which case, my sincerest condolences), the cheap or broken or worn out pieces will have already been removed before sale, so there’s no need to worry about getting some crummy pieces. The styles available tend to vary a lot, too, so whatever your look is, there’s probably something for you!

Bonus: The same goes for scarves and sunglasses!

Wall Art

Image from The Simpsons

If you’ve got an apartment in IV (or even if you live in the dorms), then you’re no stranger to the oddly depressing sight of a blank wall. And sure, you could fill it up with tapestries, but why not get wall art for a change? From inspirational quotes to old paintings and beyond, you’ll find a slew of surprising decorations to liven up your place without even coming close to breaking the bank! Same goes for fake plants.

Purses and Handbags

Image from Girl Starter

I don’t think I’ve bought a new handbag in years. Why? Because thrift shops are the actual best. There’s usually a huge selection of sizes, styles, and colors, and it’s not too hard to pick out ones that are in top condition. Sometimes you’ll even find designer brands in there for mere dollars. Worth it? My vote is a big YES!

Furniture

Image from /r/reactiongifs

The Free & For Sale Facebook group actually has a decent selection come graduation, but trust me when I say that you’ll also want to cruise your local thrift shops if you’re looking for some new furniture. You’ll find things like desks and dressers and drawers and lamps and sectional sofas. Best of all? The chairs. I’m currently sitting on a really nice office chair – I’m talking one of the spacious, spinny, black ones that usually cost around $100 or more – that I bought from a thrift shop for $8. That’s, like, over 90% in savings. And it’s a nice chair. Don’t miss out on a similar deal because you had to buy from Amazon.

Silverware & Dishes

Image from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Speaking of household necessities, if you’re ever in need of a new plate, saucer, carving knife, fork, spatula, butter tray, bowl, mug, wine glass, soup spoon, or whatever else, I wholeheartedly recommend making your first stop the thrift shop. Will everything come in a matching set? Probably not, but they usually have a whole tow of items that you can peruse from.

Thumbnail image from Kaique Rocha

Tamara is a Communication major at University of Califonia, Santa Barbara. Having grown up in the Mojave desert, Tamara can't get enough of the dream weather and natural beauty of Santa Barbara. When not studying or working on her novel, she spends her free time listening to music, crafting, exploring the world around her, and settling into a corner with a good book.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)