sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

7 Things to do with Your SO During Valentine’s Day: Quarantine Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

While being at home quarantining, it’s evident there are limited options we have for fun date nights and daytime adventures. I think I’ve about reached my cap of how many Netflix shows I can binge-watch with my significant other, and besides, it’s time we all try something a little bit outside of our comfort zones. 

I’m not gonna lie, I am bummed. But this doesn’t mean we can’t spice things up while minding COVID-19 safety precautions. In my partners and I’s search, we’ve found ways to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe and still create cherished memories during these unpredictable times. 

While brainstorming fun things to try with my SO, I contemplated both of our interests to create somewhat of a bucket list that excites us both. In my relationship, we love to experience the outdoors together, be in the moment, and make things we do feel special even if it’s in the comfort of our own home. If you and your partner are anything like us, then hopefully this bucket list will inspire you, as well. 

Go on a Glamping/Camping Getaway

We absolutely love going on camping trips, especially during the summer. Since it gets pretty cold on winter nights, we chose to go glamping instead, but you can be sure to bundle up if you choose to camp. It’s the perfect little getaway from all the chaos that goes on in our daily lives, and it’s the perfect way to unplug, rewind, and get quality time with your SO. 

The apps Airbnb and Hipcamp are the ultimate tools to find exactly what you’re looking for. These apps offer glamping and camping options ranging in different prices, areas and vibes. You can essentially tailor your outdoor vacation so both parties are happy. This is a great time to explore nature and get cozy under the stars.

Bake Together!

I love how this activity allows you to be creative and collaborative! 

You can find inexpensive mixes and decorations at your local Target, Walmart, or Trader Joes, or if you’re feeling extra, you can even make the project from scratch!

Go for a Walk Together

If you find that you and your partner have been inside for the majority of the day doing work or school, likely staring at screens, it’s a good idea to take breaks where you set everything aside and step outdoors. As I know things get crazy busy during this time of year, even setting 10-15 minutes aside to go for a walk around your neighborhood together can be so refreshing. 

Being outside is where my partner and I can relax, breathe, and take a minute to chat. Amongst all the madness, it’s comforting to know you have someone right there experiencing those moments with you. 

Dinner Date in Your Own Home

Now cooking is not either of our specialties, but when lockdown hit and many restaurants were closed, we had to get creative. We’ve come to find out that cooking together leads to a recipe for disaster, but if there’s only one main cook in the kitchen then everything turns out just fine. One of us picks the dish of the night and while it’s coming to fruition, the other patiently waits while sipping on mulled wine and keeping the other company. 

To add some flare, we sometimes like to dress up for the occasion, as if we were actually going out to a restaurant. We light a candle, play some smooth music, and enjoy our meal in the comfort of our own home. Now to make things fair, whoever didn’t cook has to do the dishes. It’s all about equity in our house!

Play Video Games Together

Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Video games, really? Yes! Although playing video games is typically not one of the ways I choose to spend my free time, it’s been fun to try something new and my boyfriend loves it. 

Recently, my BF and I have been playing Minecraft together. Make your own world and keep it somewhat challenging by playing in survival mode. This way you can work as a team to problem-solve and build your dream home. It’s a fun way to incorporate activities that may not be your first go-to, and who knows, maybe you’ll end up enjoying it like I did. If Minecraft doesn’t sound like your vibe, maybe give Among Us or Mario Kart a shot!

Picnic with a Charcuterie Board

To mix our love for food and the outdoors, what else beats a sunset picnic? As seen on Tiktok, charcuterie boards are all the rave, and it just so happens I love putting one together. There’s something so satisfying about a board of assorted cheeses, crackers and cured meats. For an extra sweet touch, add some dates, grapes, pomegranate seeds, or honeycomb. 

Go to a nice grass field or park nearby, bring some blankets, a bluetooth speaker, your favorite snacks, your date of course, and you can’t go wrong. This is such a cute way to change your scenery, take a minute to appreciate Mother Nature, and get some quality one-on-one time with your boo. 

Take A Drive or Day Trip

Although there aren’t many date options this year, you can celebrate and have an adventure together. Find a location or route you guys want to check out (taking COVID safety precautions, of course). Before you embark on your trip:  

-Make a playlist and add songs to sing your hearts out together! 

-Support local restaurants by exploring takeout along your route. You can even cook a meal together and take it with you!

-See if there are any COVID conscious stops along the way! Ex: Lookout points, trails, or landmarks.

-Bring a camera to document your trip with!

Remember, it’s about the journey, not the destination! 

This pandemic has been tough for us all, and it’s time to slow down and enjoy the company of those we love. I hope these seven ideas give you some inspiration to brighten up your spirits this Valentine’s Day. Wishing you and your SO the happiest day!

Nicole Wakeland, or Nikki, is a current 3rd year at the University of California, Santa Barbara who is pursing a major in Communications and a minor in Professional Writing. She is a writer for the Daily Nexus' On the Menu section, as well. Nikki is a painter, sushi lover, and wannabe coffee connoisseur who also loves picnics and walks on the beach.