emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Valentine’s Day Gifts that Won’t Make You Broke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you have ever celebrated Valentine’s Day, or Palentine’s Day, you know the fine line between finding the perfect gift and not overdrafting your bank account, and from experience, I know that line is very, very, VERY thin. This Valentine’s Day struggle becomes even more real for college students, as we are the epitome of broke. I mean even trying to do laundry has us searching for loose change under our sofa cushions. So, here are some inexpensive Love Day gifts that are perfect for the happy but broke college couples that won’t leave you like this:

1. HOMEMADE COUPONS

All you need for this present is a really nice printer (you can find some at Staples or your on-campus printing lab), nice cardstock paper, and envelopes. Love coupons are the gifts that keep giving, as your SO or friend can redeem them throughout the year. You can find the printable versions of the picture above, here

2. DECORATIVE MASON JARS

If your SO has a sweet tooth, this gift is perfect for them! Add all the dry ingredients from their favorite baked good, whether it is chocolate chip cookies or red velvet cake, to a mason jar and then print out and tape the recipe to the jar. You can even bake them together for a Valentine’s Day treat! 

3. CARE PACKAGE

This gift is perfect for long-distance relationships or friendships, and it is also great for the people that live just around the corner! All you need is a cardboard box, some decorations, and a bunch of your Valentine’s favorite snacks. This can be great for theme boxes, so for Galentine’s add travel sized or sample sized nail polishes, shampoos, hair sprays, makeup, and face masks. Care packages allow you to put as much or as little as you want, so the cost is all dependent on you! 

4. CARD DECK OF LOVE

One card deck plus a permanent marker equals the perfect and thoughtful gift! All you need to do is come up with all 52 reasons! And, if you want to make this a little bit fancier, you can print out the reasons and paste them onto the deck. Your SO or BFF will love this personal gift. 

5. ALCOHOL KIT

Grab a box and add all the essential items needed for your next night out, whether it is a flask, bottle opener, straws, or shot glasses. But don’t worry about the cost because you can find most of these items in the Target dollar section or the Dollar Tree! Just don’t forget to add some of your Valentine’s favorite bottles of alcohol (but of course try to find the mini versions—we are on a budget!) 

6. LOVE LIST

All you need for this quick and loving present is a list of the reason why you love your Valentine (just like the card deck idea) and possibly a frame. Come up with fourteen reasons to give it a Valentine’s feel (you know cause Valentine’s Day is on the fourteenth). 

7. NO-SEW BLANKET

Keep your Valentine warm with not only your cuddles but also a gift! Make them a no-sew fleece blanket to keep them warm this winter. It’s easy enough; all you need is two fabrics,  fabric scissors, and your time! Find how to make the blanket here!

My name is Lisa Raub, and I am fourth year here at the University of California Santa Barbara. I am an English Major with a minor in Professional Writing. I studied abroad in Paris and London, traveling everywhere from Belgium to Spain to Italy, basically leaving Europe completely broke but extremely happy. I can often be found with a dog-eared book or an almost illegible journal beside me. When I am not reading or writing, I am usually watching A LOT of Netflix or soaking up the sun. Follow my insta: @lisawantspizza
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.