6 Student Ghost Stories Just in Time for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Halloween is upon us (Wow, that was fast), which means it is that glorious beginning to the holiday season. Fall weather, pumpkins, candy corn, and sweaters galore. But this season means nothing without some good ol’ fashion scary stories! While you may not believe in the idea of paranormal activity, and all the spooky occurrences that come with it, explain how all these people have experienced these strange events! If you have a logical explanation, face it, you’re fooling yourself, because we all know there is only one true answer: ghosts! Now brace yourself for six of the spookiest ghost stories from students here at UCSB!

1. “When I lived on my own I would find my sliding mirror closet door open about three inches on the right side, almost every single night that I would come home… I found the toothpaste one time very misplaced, and ROLLED UP inside my cabinet (not where I put it nor do I ever roll my toothpaste)… lots of weird stuff happened at that house. Misplaced items and freaky noises.”

-Bailey, Senior

2. “So in Livermore there is a little hill called Boothill and every year in the springtime it would bloom daffodils and other pretty flowers. One day, my mom and I were going past and I was asking her what that little girl was doing (I was like 5). I remember her dancing in a green velvet dress. But my mom didn’t see anyone. A couple years later I was going to the local library with my grandma, and there was a book open in a casing about Boot Hill and that they had discovered back in the day it used to be a cemetery, although they took out the headstones.. on that page.. I swear to you was a picture of the little girl I had seen!”

-Alina, Graduate

3. “When I was around 13, I stayed the night at my older sister’s house in Santa Cruz. My mom, my twin sister and I were all sleeping in the same room. So that night I could have sworn I saw a white, shadowy figure of a woman staring over my twin sister’s bed. The next day I told them about the scary dream I had, but they looked confused and shocked. They told me that they’d seen the same figure. My mom saw it looking at my sister, and my sister said it was looking at her.”

-Rachel, Freshman

4. “This is more of my mom’s story, but she says that one time when she was laying in bed at night she saw the shadow of a man with a tall hat walking toward her. She ended up pulling the covers over her eyes and said she never looked up the rest of the night. Later on, my sister also described a shadow of a man with a tall hat.”

-Jessica, Graduate

5. “At this older house I used to live in, crazy stuff would happen. The stereo would turn on by itself all the time, blasting music. Things would fall off the shelf in the kitchen. Then one time I was walking past the bathroom and I swear I saw out of the corner of my eye a girl sitting hunched over on the toilet with her black hair hanging down. None of us had black hair, so naturally I backed up to look and see, and no one was on the toilet. I found out later a lady had died in that house of a drug overdose.”

-Melissa, Junior

6. “I found this little porcelain doll outside of a Mcdonalds, and for some odd reason decided to keep it. Like why? So I put it in my room like a weirdo. Every time I had a friend sleep over during this time they would get scared and claim they saw something or heard something. I never saw anything, but sometimes I would have the scariest nightmares. I did take pictures in there a few times and there would be so many floating orbs, which they say are ghosts. Anyway, when I got rid of the doll, I never had a single problem in that room. Super weird.”

-Angela, Sophmore

Well, there you have it folks. Six of the creepiest ghost stories floating around UCSB. Get it? Floating…? Okay, anyway, HAPPYYY HALLLLOOWEEEN!

My name is Lauren MacDonald and I am the former campus correspondent and editor in chief of Her Campus UCSB. While at UCSB, I dedicated much of my time to Her Campus as I strongly believe in its ability to empower women to tell their stories. I graduated in 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay