Wellness > Mental Health

5 Tips for Adjusting to In-Person Classes as an Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With Spring quarter beginning, and mask mandates being lifted, it seems like a sense of normalcy has been restored for the average UCSB student. However, while UCSB is known for its party scene and generally social atmosphere, there is a demographic within the student body that goes wildly unrecognized: the introverts.

As an introvert myself, I find more comfort in the solitude of my own company than socializing with random strangers. However, with little to no room allowed for remote instruction, there comes an untold obligation to interact with others more frequently, making the adjustment to in-person instruction a bit scary.

For anyone else who might get filled with dread at the thought of being back in-person, here are a couple of tips to help adapt to the sudden change and thrive as an introverted student here at UCSB!

1. Don’t Be Afraid to put yourself Out There

Easier said than done, I know. But while Zoom university gave us the opportunity to hide away from the world, in-person instruction forces us out from behind the screen and into a world which we shouldn’t shy away from. With an array of events to choose from on Shoreline, you can discover an event tailored to your own interests and attend at your leisure! 

By taking it upon yourself to step outside of your comfort zone, you’ll be able to have more sense of agency over your experience when it comes to socializing (and maybe even make some friends along the way). The more mingling you do in an environment of your choice, the easier it will be to interact in situations that you don’t choose. 

2. It’s Okay to Say No

Although I encourage you to step outside of your comfort zone, you should never neglect your own needs. As introverts, we tend to enjoy activities that require less social demand and we shouldn’t stop being ourselves just because the world has changed. 

The point here is to take advantage of all the opportunities that in-person instruction has to offer and to realize that there are a lot of things you can do on your own, now that previous COVID mandates are being lifted. You know best what you’re capable of and what you want to do, which means not every event needs to be attended.

3. Take Necessary Time to Recharge

Whenever you are up for some socializing, be it a casual get-together with friends or a whole night out in Isla Vista, you should always remember that it’s okay to take any necessary breaks in between. Introverts get the reputation of not wanting to be social when that’s not the case at all! However, our social battery can die out real quick which is why you may see an introvert get exhausted or irritable after hanging out for too long, so feel free to leave that party early once you’re over it or go for a walk if you’re feeling overwhelmed in the space you’re in. There’s no shame in putting your needs first!

4. Keep Up with a Routine

In-person instruction also allows us the chance to develop a proper routine. There was only so much we had to do when everything was online; going to school was as simple as turning on our computers! Now, there’s the added hassle of getting up and heading into a swarm of bikes in order to get to campus. But have no fear, coming up with a routine for your school days (and sticking to it) is just what any introvert would need during this transitional period.

By adding a little structure to your Spring quarter in the form of a routine, you will worry less about the ‘people’ aspect of it all and be able to focus more on your studies. Once you become more adjusted, ideally the anxiety that comes with adjusting to the new normal will wash away.

5. Set Time to Nurture the Relationships You Already Have (Including the One with Yourself!)

Finally, while we have already discussed not forgetting to make time for ourselves (a core need for any introvert), it is also essential to care of the relationships you’ve already formed! 

Oftentimes, as introverts, we can forget to maintain our friendships because we are so preoccupied with our own company. While I am all for a little introspection, it can become destructive if you begin to neglect important things for the sake of your own comfort. Prioritizing valuable relationships is crucial but that doesn’t mean you’re obligated to hang out when you’re not feeling it. Just shoot your friend a text to catch up and let them know you’re thinking about them. A little bit of effort can go a long way after all!

It’s safe to say not everyone at UCSB is extroverted and that’s completely okay! Everyone has different needs which they should care for accordingly. The switch to in-person instruction may be a little hard for us introverts, but it’s completely doable and with the right mindset we will be able to flourish!

Hi ! I'm Deanna, a 3rd year English major and currently an editorial intern here at Her Campus. My hobbies include watching tv, relaxing, and, of course, writing. I aim to write about what I care about and what resonates with me the most.