This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With the start of Spring Quarter, the presence of masks has slowly diminished across UCSB’s campus. As of March 19th, masks were no longer required in indoor spaces on campus, with the exception of classrooms, and as of April fourth, masking was no longer be required in classrooms. While I’m excited about such a substantial change, I do want to say a bittersweet goodbye to five things I will actually miss about masks:

1. Hiding My RBF (And Other Facial Expressions)

Masks have been the saving grace of my face (one too many times)! Whether I was smirking at an inappropriate time in class, walking around campus with an RBF (resting b*tch face), or scowling in annoyance, my mask hid these expressions from the rest of the world, saving me from any social faux pas. 

1. All Things Acne

On many occasions, I woke up in the morning, much to my horror, to a perfectly placed pimple on my chin or cheek. Luckily, my mask was always there to hide it for me! Even better, I could wear a zit sticker to combat it throughout the day, unknown to everyone around me! (Yes, it may have been an endless cycle of “mask-ne”, but masks did their concealing job when needed!)

1. Saving My Makeup

On days when I felt like getting dolled up for class, I could save time and makeup by only doing the parts of my face people could see! I just did a swipe of mascara and brow gel, and I was out the door! I owe so much of my lip gloss and concealer to Covid!

1. Talking in Class Inconspicuously

In many lectures, my friends and I would ask questions and make comments to each other under the secretive layer of our masks. Masks gave my friends and I the extra boost of confidence to somewhat secretly chat during meetings or classes. I know it’s fine to whisper but I always felt better when my mask was concealing my conversations!

1. Avoidance in General

See someone you kind of know in the dining hall? In class? Shopping? Masks make these would-be-awkward interactions easily avoidable with just a quick aversion of the eyes. Without them, I feel exposed and prone to interaction — not the end of the world, but some days, it’s just easier to throw on the mask and keep to myself!

Although masking is still recommended, it is encouraging, hopeful, and exciting to see such a strict mandate go away after nearly two years. Finding these small moments of joy during these unprecedented times allowed me to get through each day, but now, I’m excited to recognize my fellow classmates, see my professors’ faces, and smile, showing everyone how happy I am that progress is being made!

Eva is Her Campus at UCSB’s Editor in Chief, as well as a third year Communication major at UC Santa Barbara, where she writes about anything and everything she feels is exciting, fascinating, or entertaining. When she isn't writing for Her Campus, she is usually overthinking, working on one of her projects, or listening to Taylor Swift.