5 Ted Talks to Start the Year Off Right!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Enough with the “New Year, new me” crap. What’s wrong with the old you? Sure you might be a total procrastinator and sure you may eat take-out every day because you’re too lazy to cook but there’s nothing wrong with you!

Instead of trying to reinvent yourself, how about you simply try improving yourself one step at a time. Forget New Year resolutions! I mean, who are we kidding? Not all of us are going to go to the gym and stuff our faces with vegetables and other gross green stuff. So instead, here are 5 Ted Talks that will help improve the way you perceive your approach to life. Enjoy!

1. You have to learn to love yourself, it’s cliché but it’s true!

Lizzie Velasquez has become famous in recent years when a video of her went viral, naming her “The Ugliest Girl Alive.” Through the heartache, Lizzie rose above everyone else and opened up about her medical condition that doesn’t allow her to gain weight. With her positive attitude, Lizzie has gone on to become a motivational speaker, best-selling author, and star in her own documentary “A Brave New Heart.”

2. Grades aren’t everything, believe me!

Angela Lee Duckworth went from being a management consultant to becoming a 7th grade math teacher. She then went on to receive her masters in psychology and began to help people learn their ability to succeed. Her discovery? It wasn’t grades or IQ scores that determined success, but one’s own grit.

3. You are a leader. Yes, you are!

Drew Dudley uses his “Lollipop moment” to make everyone realize just how much of a leader you really are. Confidence isn’t based solely on looks, it’s also on your actions and your ability to lead and be the Alpha female you were born to be!

4. There’s nothing wrong with resorting to Plan B…or G!

Most of you may know him by his rapper name, Kid Cudi, but he was born Scott Mescudi. Everyone believed it was his “Plan A” to be a rapper, but Scott opens up and admits he tried everything else before pursing rap, saying it was his “Plan G.”  Sometimes we all need to hear these words of encouragement, that even though life throws us curve balls, we are not failures.

5. You’re not a loser, you’re not lonely, you’re an introvert and that is completely okay! 

Susan Cain explains the power of being an introvert in an extrovert society. Two-thirds to half of the world population is an introvert and yet we shamelessly look down on introverts. It’s about time extroverts learn how they can help shape communities for introverts and for introverts to learn that they are not inferior, they are not outcasts, they are equals.

I hope these Ted Talks help you start 2016 off right and you can develop a better understanding that life may not go as planned or may not make sense, but that doesn’t mean you won’t succeed.

Elizabeth Vasquez graduated from UC Santa Barbara back in 2016 with a BA in English. Elizabeth currently resides in the Silicon Valley area and works for Modern Luxury Silicon Valley magazine as a marketing & events coordinator. When she isn't working, Elizabeth enjoys dining out with friends, reading a book and spending time with her two dogs. See what she is up to on Instagram: @iamelizabethvasquez and on Twitter: @MissElizabethLV
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.