Style > Beauty

5 Reasons Why You Should Add Rosehip Oil to Your Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

What is rosehip oil? Rosehip oil, also known as rosehip seed oil, is the cold-pressed seed oil extracted from the fruits produced by specific wild rose bushes found predominantly in the Southern Hemisphere. This is very different from rose oil which is extracted from the flower petals of the traditional rose plant we’re familiar with.

Ever since I stumbled across rosehip oil last year, I’ve been obsessed. While I’ve never been one to care a lot about skincare, I always rave about rosehip oil because it’s been such a simple but effective addition to my regular skincare routine. Here’s a list of reasons why you should consider adding rosehip oil to your skincare routine as well:

It’s great for moisturizing.

Rosehip oil contains a lot of fatty acids which not only moisturize the skin but also form ceramides which help the skin retain moisture better in the long run. Unlike many other oils, rosehip oil absorbs easily into the skin and doesn’t leave you feeling greasy, making it an optimal moisturizer for all skin types.

It’s anti-aging.

The oil’s high levels of vitamins A and C help slow down the skin’s aging process by combatting UV damage and promoting the production of retinol and elastin in the skin. Meanwhile, the small molecules of the oil penetrate deeper into the skin’s layers, smoothing out existing wrinkles and fine lines and tightening the skin.

It helps reduce acne.

Rosehip oil’s anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties can calm acne-prone skin while antioxidants help prevent future acne by fighting pollutants in the skin. Since the oil is non-comedogenic, you won’t have to worry about it clogging your pores.

It evens out skin tone and fades scarring.

Unlike many skin brightening products, rosehip oil doesn’t rely on harsh chemicals and is safe for sensitive skin. Whether it’s stretch marks, acne scars, or just general discoloration, applying rosehip oil to these areas will help even out skin tone as it promotes cell regeneration in the skin.

It’s natural.

When you use certified organic rosehip oil, you avoid the harsh chemicals, parabens, and unnecessary fillers often added in many store-bought skincare products. Not only will having a more natural skincare regimen be beneficial to your skin, but it’ll also help the environment as well.

Sally is a fourth year communication student at UCSB. Her favorite things to do include traveling, eating, and binge watching YouTube videos. In her ideal future, she is either a research professor or market analyst for a digital entertainment company and living in her hometown of LA with a hypoallergenic cat.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.