5 Local Women-Owned Businesses You Need to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Women’s History Month is almost over, but there’s never a wrong time to shop at women-owned businesses. As it turns out, our local Santa Barbara area has plenty of places to shop if you’re interested in supporting female business owners, with anything from sweet treats to good reads to adorable gifts. Here are some of my favorites.

1. Anna’s Bakery

Roommate’s birthday coming up? Or maybe you’re just in the mood for a pastry or sandwich? Anna’s Bakery has you covered. This bakery, one of the oldest in the Santa Barbara area, serves everything from cherry pie to breakfast burritos to Peet’s coffee (yes, they serve Peet’s coffee!). It is owned by Deborah Weber and Lisa Boelter, who are both frequently found helping customers and employees around the bakery.  Located in the Camino Real Marketplace, it’s the perfect place to visit after your next Costco or Albertson’s run.

2. Santa Barbara Gift Baskets

If you’re in the mood for spoiling someone (or yourself!), check out Santa Barbara Gift Baskets. This company, founded by Santa Barbara native Anne Pazier in 2009, creates themed and custom gift baskets that can be shipped and delivered to you or your friends, family, or partner. Baskets are filled with local gourmet food and drink items perfect for any occasion, whether it’s Easter, someone’s birthday, or just a virtual happy hour. They’re even categorized according to special dietary needs so everyone can enjoy them.

3. Paperback Alley

Located on Hollister Avenue in Old Town Goleta is Paperback Alley, a charming little bookstore specializing in used and vintage books. The current owner, Ruta Safranavicius, has run the shop for over 20 years. Not only does Paperback Alley sell books, but they also offer a unique (and free!) book curation service – via text, email, or a form on their website, describe books/genres/authors that you love, and you will be matched with book recommendations based on your preferences.

4. Chocolate Maya

Downtown Santa Barbara’s Chocolate Maya is the perfect place to visit if you’re suffering from a sweet tooth. Founded by a Swiss native, this shop’s delicious treats are truly the “real deal” – and if you’re still skeptical, check out the flavor map on their website to see which bonbons or bars are most suited to your tastebuds. In non-pandemic times, Chocolate Maya even offers tastings and chocolate-making classes.

5. Seaside Makers (owned by the Grapeseed Company)

Kristin Fraser Cotte founded the Grapeseed Company in 2004, after two years of sailing from Boston to the Caribbean. Inspired by the craft of natural skin care products from herbs and essential oils, she launched her own vinotherapy line that has now expanded to include over 100 skin, hair, and body care products. Seaside Makers also sells a variety of other artisanal gifts and goodies, with anything from flasks to earrings to towels. The best part is that all the products reflect the local Santa Barbara area, whether they are made from local wine or feature a print of a Santa Barbara map.

Shopping local, helping small businesses, and supporting female entrepreneurs seems like a no-brainer, but just in case none of these suggestions tickle your fancy, check out this extensive list of women-owned businesses from around the world. Even as Women’s History Month draws to a close, remember to celebrate the accomplishments of women all year round – when women support each other, amazing things can happen.

Kendall is a third-year Communication student at UCSB and an editorial intern for Her Campus UCSB. When she isn’t writing, she’s usually either doing yoga, getting coffee, or planning her future travels.