5 Apps to Keep You Politically Informed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

You’re having lunch with friends. One thing leads to another and you end up stuck in the middle of a political debate on a topic you know nothing about. With the presidential election happening this year, now is the time to start getting politically informed more than ever before. Here are some easy ways you can stay informed with your smartphone.

1. BuzzFeed News and the BuzzFeed App – BuzzFeed is known for making fun videos and silly quizzes, but did you know they have a section on their page and on their app dedicated to recent news and contemporary issues? The app is available on GooglePlay and iTunes.

2. theSkimm – Subscribe to theSkimm to get daily e-mails about the lastest news. You can read it in the morning while you drink your coffee or while you make your way to class.

3. iCitizen– iCitizen allows you to set your preferences so that you can stay informed on the topics you care about most. The app is available on GooglePlay, iTunes, and Kindle.

4. The White House – It’s the official White House app that provides you with photos, live stream videos, blog posts, and more. The app is available on iTunes and GooglePlay.

5. BriefMe – BriefMe provides you with the top trending news stories. Sort through articles by topic or by most recent. The app is available on iTunes as of now, but an Android version is coming soon.

Sally is a fourth year communication student at UCSB. Her favorite things to do include traveling, eating, and binge watching YouTube videos. In her ideal future, she is either a research professor or market analyst for a digital entertainment company and living in her hometown of LA with a hypoallergenic cat.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.