30 Thoughts I Had During the Girls Finale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Well, the show we all loved and yet simultaneously hated has finally reached its end. If you haven’t yet seen the last episode, I might warn you about the spoilers, but instead I warn any fan from watching the “concluding” episode at all. In all honesty, the second to last episode (Goodbye Tour, S6E9) is all the closure you’ll need. The last episode, which feels more like a mid-season, filler episode, seems unnecessary and dragged out. The only good thing about it is that it reassures the audience that it was time for the show to end.

Here are 30 thoughts I had during the last episode:

1. This episode better not be all about Hannah…

2. Awh Hannah and Marnie, together again!

3. And there goes Marnie, ruining it by being narcissistic and obnoxious, per usual.

4. This living arrangement will not work out well. C’mon, we all know that there’s a reason they haven’t lived together since season 1.

5. Another flash forward?! 

6. Hannah named her baby Grover… figures.

7. I still can’t believe that random surf instructor from the Hamptons is the father of Hannah’s baby!

8. Ok, that low scale doctor’s office is a pretty accurate representation of a young, poor mama’s life!

9. Geez, classic Hannah already talking about going back to her old, scandalous ways…

10. Am I the only one who wants Adam to meet her baby?

11. Hannah needs to get over herself and let Marnie sing! She is such a selfish brat!

12. Interesting how realistically different Hannah’s body looks (anyone who watches Girls has come to know Lena Dunham’s body pretty well, whether they wanted to or not).

13. If this is the whole episode, I’m gonna be really disappointed.

14. The catty, love/hate friendship between Marnie and Hannah was always the worst part of the show.

15. If they would have at least swapped out Marnie for Elijah the episode would have had a glimmer of hope!

16. If this wasn’t the last episode, I would skip it.

17. Hannah’s calling Marnie “perverse”? Hannah’s sudden shyness about breastfeeding literally makes zero sense. This woman is classically shameless.

18. Could Hannah be any more rude to Marnie? Without her she’d have no one!

19. Seriously, I want to know what’s going on with the rest of the group one last time!

20. How is it that Hannah is even more of a selfish brat after having had her baby?

21. Who was Marnie going to send those pics to?!

22. It would surprise me if Marnie doesn’t leave. Hannah doesn’t deserve friendship!

23. I’m not gonna lie, there is some truth to Hannah’s speech about Marnie’s expectations.

24. Mama Horvath is giving some pretty real speeches. 

25. Marnie getting walked in on while masturbating is the only good thing about this episode. 

26. Who is Marnie’s boyfriend? A random? No! I hate it when shows do that.

27. Classic Hannah, pushing everyone away, INCLUDING HER OWN MOM!

28. I appreciate the fact that Marnie is finally having a breakthrough when she says: “I don’t need to be happy, it’s not my time.” Especially after all her narcissistic shenanigans these last few seasons.

29. Interesting how Hannah FINALLY breaks through her own selfish, immature ways when she has the one conversation with the runaway neighbor girl.

30. That’s the end?! Are you serious?! The show ends without the group ever mending the bond? (I guess they never really had one) There’s no clear resolution between Hannah and Adam? Not even Marnie and Desi? Not even a catchy closing song in the credits?!

I think it’s safe to say that I was more than a little disappointed, maybe because I didn’t want the show to end, maybe because I was still kind of rooting for Hannah and Adam. But all and all, most endings are bad, and if I had to rate the series overall I’d have to give it a pretty solid 7.

Watch the series, skip the finale, and you’ve got yourself a pretty decent show to binge watch on HBO!

All gifs courtesy of giphy.com

My name is Lauren MacDonald and I am the former campus correspondent and editor in chief of Her Campus UCSB. While at UCSB, I dedicated much of my time to Her Campus as I strongly believe in its ability to empower women to tell their stories. I graduated in 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay