3 Pinterest-Inspired Holiday Gifts that Won’t Break the Bank!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s that time of the year when weekend nights call for ABC’s 25 Days of Christmas and thinking of the best holiday gifts for your BFF, frenemy, and everyone in between. HerCampus is here to offer some fabulous ideas for holiday gifts that are sure to make any of your collegiate friends happier than Glen Coco. You go Glen Coco. The key to cranking out a gift that your friends will genuinely love is to add some personality to turn a gift from generic to meaningful! If you can’t get the dream gift for your BFF (aka $200 dress on Free People’s Pinterest), here are some affordable Pinterest-inspired DIY gifts for the special ride-or-die girls in our life. 

1. Flag Banner

This flag banner is a perfect gift to send to friends living in dorms, adjusting to college life, or need a little something to brighten up their room. You can decorate the banner with whatever saying or word you want. Write anything on the banner from their name (Mrs. Harry Styles), to their sorority’s name (Gamma Delta Iota), to a funny phrase (Peace Luv n Nutella)! All you need for this gift is fabric, glue, glitter, and twine. Start off by cutting triangles out of the fabric to write each letter of your saying on. Trace each letter on your fabric triangles in glue, and then cover the glue in glitter until it dries. When the letters have dried, shake off the excess glitter and staple each triangle on the twine to make your banner. Measure and cut how much twine you need to hang from across the room. Now you have the perfect and most unexpected gift to give your friends for the holiday season!

2. Frame Earring Holder

This gift is the perfect holiday choice for your friend who is in love with accessories. This gift takes less than 5 minutes to make and is sure to top any boring gift card! All you need to make this gift is a frame (for frames that won’t break the bank, try Ikea, Michael’s, or your local Goodwill), a delicate lace of your choice to back the frame, and a hot glue gun. Take the backing and the glass off the frame, and measure the lace to fit the frame. It’s important to leave a little extra lace than what fits the frame so you have some lace for the hot glue to hold on to. Hot glue the lace onto the edges of the frame and let the frame dry. Now that you have your frame earring holder, top it off with a trendy pair of earrings from Brandy Melville and you have the ultimate holiday gift!

3. Cookie Dough in a Mason jar

We all have the foodie friend who would love nothing more than a gift card to the four star restaurant for Christmas. But since we collegiates are ballers on a budget, this gift satisfies both parties. All you need for this Martha Stewart approved gift is some raw cookie dough (homemade or store bought), a mason jar, and some lace or twine. Roll the cookie dough into one inch balls and gently place them in the mason jar until full. Wrap some twine or lace around the mason jar and tie it into a bow. Chill the cookie dough in the mason jar until you are ready to give the gift to your lucky gal of a friend. Nothing better than some holiday chocolate chip cookies! Extra points if you have a hot guy deliver the cookie dough in a Santa’s helper costume!

Now that you have 3 choices of what to make this holiday season, the next Secret Santa party is sure to be a breeze. Your friends will obsess over the personal touches these gifts have to offer and will completely forget about the LF dress they were in love with last week. But hey, it’s the thought that counts, right?

And while your in the Pinterest spirit, don’t forget to follow us at http://pinterest.com/hercampusucsb/

Maya is currently a third year Communications major at UCSB and a San Francisco native. As an previous editorial intern for HC and current Campus Correspondent, Maya loves to write about her NOMtastic food endeavors and the laid back fashion and style of California. With an interest in magazine editorial writing and public relations, Maya plans to pursue these fields as she continues to add a little more spice to every Collegiate’s life!
Phoebe is a senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara, majoring in Film and Media Studies. She is from San Diego, CA and loves spending time hiking and walking her dog on the beach. At UCSB, Phoebe is involved with her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and loves to take study breaks by baking and watching reality TV. However, she is truly passionate about cats and Nutella (not together of course). After graduation, Phoebe plans to travel abroad in Europe and pursue a career in Public Relations.