sunset ocean beach sky evening
sunset ocean beach sky evening
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

2023 UCSB Wrapped

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As the date creeps into the final days of December, highlight reels fill our feeds. From the Barack Obama end-of-year reading list, to your friend’s expertly curated 2023 photo dump, we see the summation of the previous year in many forms. We recap the best and the worst, press play on Spotify Wrapped, and read about TIME’s Person of the Year.

So, consider this article yet another collection of pivotal moments from the past year, highlighting the annual events that define UCSB tradition, and recapping the ones that changed our history. 

Deltopia

Let’s start with the obvious: UCSB’s claim to fame, the epic weekend dayge of Isla Vista legend, the subject of a low-budget horror movie, Deltopia. Taking place on April 8th and 9th 2023, crowd numbers were “significantly higher” than last year’s event according to the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s office. The Daily Nexus reported that crowds reached an estimated 15,000 party-goers.

“I loved seeing everyone just all around happy,” fourth year Laurelle Kaiser said, describing the event as her favorite moment of 2023. While there are definite downsides to Deltopia (over-policing, monetization of parties, and substance abuse, to name a few), the event is key to UCSB culture. It is the pinnacle of the Isla Vista community, and if celebrated in a safe and smart manner, Deltopia is a weekend that you’ll remember (or not remember) forever.

Imagines from deltopia
Original photo by Skyler Stand
IV Halloween

Isla Vista Halloween is subject of student intrigue for all years. Whispered tales of all hallows’ eve run rampant through first year dormitories and tickets out of town are booked weeks in advance (if you want to read more about the history of Isla Vista’s Halloween, check out this article). But for the Gauchos who remain on campus or in Isla Vista, there are many options available to celebrate the witching hours in a more subdued manner. 

“It was just a time to relax and have fun with friends,” first year Faith Petterle said. Spending the night in is sacred for those of us with UCSB-induced FOMO. Isla Vista organizations also put on several events for the holiday in attempts to encourage students to “keep it local.” The Isla Vista Recreation and Park District held a “Haunted Halloween Pumpkin Patch” in Anisq’Oyo Park over the last three nights of the haunted month, which was fun for many students, who loved everything that the event had to offer. 

“There was face painting, pumpkins, colorful lights, spooky music, and a generally great vibe,” second year Sophie Strozier said. The event turnout was a mix of students and local families, and showed students like Strozier that Isla Vista is more than just a party destination, but a thriving community.

Extravaganza 2023

Extravaganza 2023, the free music festival put on by the Associated Student’s Program Board, is an annual event that has featured artists of critical acclaim since 1979, including rock heroine Stevie Nicks and rap visionary Kendrick Lamar. 2023 brought Swedish performer Galantis, ex-American Idol contestant Remi Wolf, and viral rapper Destroy Lonely

The festival was also supposed to showcase rapper JPEGMAFIA, but he was unable to perform due to “unforseen circumstances,” as posted on the AS Program Board instagram. But the show went on, with Destroy Lonely, Remi Wolf, and Galantis performing to ecstatic crowds at Harder Stadium. 

“I love Remi Wolf… I got to see her up close,” second year Lauren Chiou said. “Galantis was also cool. I was unfamiliar with his music, but it was still a good time.” This was a common experience for attendees, with most only knowing one or two of the performing acts. Regardless, live performances of this caliber were enjoyable for students whether they knew the artist or not. Extravaganza 2023 was a smashing success, and a definite highlight of 2023 for many a Gaucho. 

UCSB Basketball Big West Champions 2023

2023 was a fairytale year for the UCSB Men’s Basketball team. The team had a victorious regular season, the grand finale being UCSB’s victory over the University of Hawai’i, naming them 2022-2023 Big West Regular Season Co-Champions. But the true Cinderella story took place during the Big West Championship tournament. 

Going in as a Co-Champion with UC Irvine, UCSB had the 2nd seed entering into the tournament. This was a do-or-die moment for the Gauchos, as the only way into March Madness — the biggest tournament in college basketball — was winning the entire Big West tournament. 

Isla Vistans far and wide watched the tournament from their couches, with their friends, celebrating as the Gauchos defeated Cal Poly, Riverside, and finally, Cal State Fullerton, earning them the title of Big West Champions and winning their second title in three seasons. It was a momentous time for Gaucho Basketball. Although we didn’t reach the same heights in the March Madness tournament, the opportunities for greatness in 2024 are only beginning. 

Highlights: Campus Programs

As Admissions offers will tell you, UCSB has a lot to offer in terms of extracurricular programming. One of the best examples of this is the Associated Students Program Board (ASPB), who, in addition to creating Extravaganza, put on events ranging from award-winning performances to local band shows to movie nights. In 2023, ASPB brought musical acts 070 Shake, Indigo de Souza, and Coi Leray to UCSB, and featured comedians and live shows at Campbell Hall, including Janelle James and Emergency Intercom

In addition to arts and entertainment, the UCSB Adventure Program is a highlight for students. Operated through the rec center, the adventure program creates opportunities for students to get further into the outdoors, whether that be through backpacking, canoeing, or hiking.

“I never canoed before this,” second year Ella Lee said. The adventure program, in addition to its numerous classes and trips, runs the adventure rental program at Campus Point, allowing students to rent out kayaks, surfboards, and more. 

Highlights: Isla Vista

Every September, Isla Vista gets ready to accept its new group of students and tenants. And every year, students fall in love with the small beach town and its people. The sunset pilgrimage to Devereaux, trying new foods from small businesses, swimming from sunrise to sunset, Isla Vista is a town unlike any other. 

“Seeing the sunset always makes me feel lucky to be in IV,” third year Shiloh Templeton said. 

From the highest of highs (4/20) to the lowest of lows (June-gloom finals week), 2023 was an eventful year at UCSB. Here’s hoping 2024 is just as recap-worthy. 

Lucy is a second year political science major who writes about everything she loves (and hates) about UCSB and life in general. When not writing, Lucy can be found reading a book, listening to music, or taking a nice long walk.