This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Being a student at UCSB comes with its many perks, quirks, and, of course, traditions. In my first few weeks as a Gaucho, I quickly learned that for the next four years, I’d be voraciously throwing tortillas, narrowly avoiding bike accidents — and having the Halloween experiences of a lifetime.

Or so I thought.

Upon hearing that I was heading to UCSB, nearly every adult I encountered exclaimed, “Halloween there is crazy!” So, last year, I was extremely surprised when, instead of having a legendary Halloween as promised by my predecessors, I had to flee UCSB’s campus in search of a Halloween party free of noise ordinances and street barricades. Among school-wide urges to “Keep it Local” and various warnings from law enforcement, I wondered what had transpired during the Halloweens of Isla Vista’s past — and when those “legendary” nights were finally laid to rest. Were these parties truly too dangerous to allow them to continue?

According to a 2010 three-part article by the Daily Nexus, “‘The Biggest College Party in California’: A History of Isla Vista’s Halloween,” the first indicators of chaos on Halloween in Isla Vista were incidents in dorms that occurred in the early 60s. Soon after, Halloween parties were noted along Del Playa Drive. 

A few years later, in 1978, Halloween became more than just an opportunity to party — it was a chance to rebel against authority. Rising political tensions culminated in a night of violence, police brutality, and seven student arrests. 

Despite these tumultuous roots — or thanks to the intrigue they caused — Isla Vista became a party destination for others not attending local universities. Halloween of 1986 was noted as the time “all hell broke loose,” with over 30,000 attendees, a multitude of injuries, and thousands of arrests — hundreds of which involved San Diego State University students who chartered buses to Santa Barbara. 

Post-1986 Isla Vista Halloween brought the “Don’t Come to I.V.” campaign, as well as traffic control — both of which we still see echoes of around our campus today. Despite these efforts, out-of-control partying continued throughout the 90s and early 2000s. Bullet wounds, cliff-falling, and sexual assault were just a few of the devastating issues exacerbated by out-of-hand Halloweens. 

It appears that the year 2010 brought down the hammer on Halloween as it used to be. There were 150 officers, 10 mounted police units, plain-clothed cops, a festival ordinance, parking laws, and increased fines for possession of alcohol. 

Current students still mourn the “glory days” of Isla Vista’s Halloween. A popular account among UCSB students, @ucsbchicks, echoes the longing sentiments of the student body: “in honor of yet another Halloweekend shut down by restrictions and noise ordinances, let’s reminisce on IV’s former Halloweekend Glory: photos circa 2009.”

Today, UCSB students’ Halloween plans include anything from staying in, traveling far and wide, or “Keeping it Local” with Associated Students programming. 

If you’re unsure about the rules and regulations for Halloween, this website is a great resource to keep everyone safe and informed. 

Although we can no longer partake in the original Isla Vista Halloween experience, it’s still fun to carry on the Gaucho Halloweekend spirit in other adventures while also learning from the ghosts of our shared past!

Stay safe Gauchos and Ghouls!

Eva is Her Campus at UCSB’s Editor in Chief, as well as a third year Communication major at UC Santa Barbara, where she writes about anything and everything she feels is exciting, fascinating, or entertaining. When she isn't writing for Her Campus, she is usually overthinking, working on one of her projects, or listening to Taylor Swift.