The 10 Types of Facebookers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Every Facebooker has that friend (or friends) that is infamous for their annoying Facebook habits.  Ranging from updating their status twelve times a day to never logging on, these Facebookers can come in all walks of life.  HerCampus UCSB thought it would be helpful to list ten types of obnoxious Facebook Users, as well as some of the traits that define them.

The Pointless Information Giver:  This friend is known for posting statuses such as: “Going To Bed”, “Bored”, or “Doing Homework”.  If you have this friend, let them know that no one cares; and if you are this friend- why do you think that people are concerned with your sleeping cycle?

The “Like”r:  This person ‘likes’ every picture, status, and Wall-To-Wall that they see.  They cross the very fine line between friendly and creepy.  Other forms of the “Like”r include the Intruder, who feels the need to interject themselves into each conversation that they feel remotely involved in.

The Constant Updater:  This friend has the urge to periodically update their status, on the hour, every hour.  They often believe that they must share each intimate detail of their daily lives to their hundred friends.  Similar to the Pointless Information Giver, most of these statuses are worthless, however they generally exist in sequences.  Examples can include: “Heading Home!” followed by, “Stuck in Traffic!” and “Took me 8 Hours to Get back to LA!”

The Ex:  This Facebooker generally begins when their profile changes from “In A Relationship” to “It’s Complicated” and finally “Single”.  These relationship changes are often followed by status updates such as “I Miss Him<3”, “Heartbroken”, or various sentimental relationship quotes.  This type of user can often be seen becoming friends with and deleting their Ex multiple times per month.  If you are this person: Please stop, you look like a stalker.

The Hacker:  Although sometimes not a Facebook User, this person takes advantage of any chance to hack another’s account.  These opportunities are often provided with unattended phones, laptops, or access to one’s password.  Statuses by a Hacker often include statuses such as “I Love (Insert Name)”; however more advanced Hackers have the skills to change pictures, comment on people’s profiles, and create events.  Watch out for these Hackers, they can come in all shapes and sizes and cannot be trusted.

The Selective Poster:  The Selective Poster generally disregards the appearance of anyone but themselves upon posting photos.  This friend is usually found with flawless pictures, and is often disliked by most others within their friend group.  Don’t be this person.

The Ignore-er:  This person is notorious for sending Facebook friend requests to anyone they have met, only to ignore them in real life.  The Ignore-er is mainly concerned with having the ability to see other’s profiles, and is also interested in increasing their number of ‘friends’. 

The Drunk Uploader:  The Drunk Uploader is known for absurd statuses, Mobile Uploads, and comments from 12-3 AM on most weekends.  Although these updates happen frequently, they are often deleted the next morning, and can only be found online for short periods of time.

The Non-User:  The Non-User’s Facebook account is usually created by a close friend, family member, or girlfriend.  This person has no Status Updates, Photo Albums, or Friends, and has a Facebook solely for the purpose of having a Facebook.  This person is often confused on how to use the site, and is notorious for never replying to anyone that attempts to contact them.

The Cyber Stalker:  This person knows the in and outs of Facebook.  They are able to find anyone with as little information as a first name or mutual friend.  The Cyber Stalker is also able to assume most details of one’s life based off of their profile.  Not to be confused with the “Like”r, the Cyber Stalker generally observes from a distance; never allowing their prey to know that they’re being watched.