10 Struggles of Being the “Nerdy” Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Every friend group has one: the friend who loves video games, has seen every Star Wars movie, and can be found watching YouTube gamers instead of Netflix on a Saturday night. Whether this is you or someone you know, just know you’re not alone. Here are some common struggles us “nerds” face within our friend groups. (Please excuse my use of very nerdy gifs to prove my point)

1. No one in your friend group understands exactly what you’re talking about half of the time.

2. They don’t even understand your love for your favorite gamers.

3. You never have anyone to game with.

4. And when your friends do agree to play something, they don’t know what they’re doing.

5. They get bored when you try to show them something you love.

6. And they ask a BUNCH of questions about what is even happening.

7. Anytime your friends see anything slightly nerdy they automatically ask you about it (even if you’re not into it).

8. Your movie suggestions typically get turned down.

9. They give you a confused look when you talk about some of your obsessions.

10. You love them dearly, but sometimes you just wish they liked more of the things you do.

Deyana Gorman is a second year pre-biology major at the University of California Santa Barbara from Simi Valley, California. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Deyana can usually be found watching her favorite youtubers, hanging out with friends, playing video games, brushing up on her photography skills, or doing activities with her sorority sisters. She plans on one day studying abroad in Italy, Ireland, and Australia as well as going on road trip adventures throughout California.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay