10 Netflix Documentaries You Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Let’s face it, we are all extremely guilty of binge-watching Netflix every night of the week, despite having homework, papers to write, or exams the next day. We all have our go-to TV shows and movies, but if you’re looking for something different, inspiring, or educational, Netflix has some of the best documentaries!

1. Twinsters

This documentary chronicles the true story of a French fashion student who discovered via the Internet an identical twin she never knew existed. Easily one of the cutest documentaries I have ever watched.

2. Fed Up

This documentary examines the underlying causes of childhood obesity, which has become an ever more serious medical issue in America.

3. Blackfish

This documentary examines the life of performing killer whale Tilikum, who has caused the deaths of several people while in captivity. Once watched, you will never visit SeaWorld ever again.

4. Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory

This documentary follows social worker Dan Cohen as he uses music to unlock memory in nursing-home patients afflicted with Alzheimer’s. This one will have you reaching for the tissue box, leaving you touched and inspired.  

5. Jiro Dreams of Sushi

This documentary profiles sushi chef Jiro Ono, an 85-year-old master whose 10 seat, $300-a-plate restaurant is legendary among Tokyo foodies. After watching this, you will want to hop on a plane to Tokyo and experience eating at Jiro’s.

6. 180° South

A band of bliss-seeking surfer-mountaineers sets out—in 2007, by boat—on a journey to Patagonia, South America, in this adventure documentary. This one will leave you feeling excited and ready to adventure. 

7. Steve Jobs: One Last Thing

Legendary businessman and Apple co-founder Steve Jobs changed the way Americans live, think and work before his death in 2011. Chances are you own at least one Apple product, you might as well learn about the brilliant man that came up with it.

8. Cowspiracy

Learn how factory farming is decimating the planet’s natural resources – and why this crisis has been largely ignored by major environmental groups. This is a tough one to watch, but it is worth educating yourself on an issue very prevalent in the world today.

9. Supersize Me

Director Morgan Spurlock takes a hilarious and often terrifying look at the effects of fast food on the human body, using himself as a guinea pig. There is a high chance that you will take a fast food break after watching this, but that was a part of your New Year’s resolution anyway, right?

10. Going Blind  

Filmmaker Joseph F. Lovett shares his experience losing his sight to glaucoma and profiles six other people coping with vary

Lily is a senior at UC Santa Barbara studying Communication and Education. She loves making lists, minimalism, public media, and breakfast foods. Her planner is her best friend.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.