Your Favorite Recipes, But With Dairy Free Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Good food that is non-dairy doesn’t have to be boring. I’m not sure who else needed to hear that, but I needed to announce it. I’ve been struggling to find familiar things to eat that won’t go against my lactose intolerance for a while now, and I wanted to inform the public that there are some great recipes out there. Being able to eat food that tastes good and doesn’t feel like a compromise is important when it comes to dietary needs!

Brownies with Tahini and Halvah 

Using alternative milks is always an option when looking into dairy-free cooking, but sometimes I feel like it misses the point. Dairy-free could be a chance to make something new, such as adding tahini to brownies to make them richer. Tahini in any baked good will really surprise you, and if you haven’t tried it, you should. Put your oat milk aside; tahini is on the rise.

Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes can accompany so many things and are in themselves a great late night snack. Butter is something that many people have issues with and doesn’t need to be included in most dishes. Believe it or not, olive oil makes dishes just as delish. I don’t consider this as an alternative because olive oil is really good for you and helps with your immune system, your brain, your liver, and more. Either way, mashed potatoes with olive oil are absolutely great and don’t make you feel like you have to compromise anything. 

Mac and Cheese

Again, olive oil can swoop in and rescue your favs. Mac and cheese is one of life’s greatest gifts and I don’t know anyone who would disagree. Unfortunately for us lactose intolerant and/or vegan folks, there is literally cheese in the title. For me, the best part of mac and cheese is the decadent sauce that is just thick enough to coat the pasta. Vegan mac and cheese is insane; whether you’ve had it already at a restaurant or want to make it at home, I highly recommend giving it a try. Using olive oil and nutritional yeast is incredibly creative and allows for the flavor to stay. In this recipe, they recommend a preferred milk but I think blending in cashews to this mixture will do the trick of added creaminess.

There are so many new recipes that are able to utilize ingredients that don’t include dairy. Thankfully, with these examples and many more, you don’t have to miss out on great food because of dietary restrictions. I think a fun way to start cooking sans dairy is by making things you already know and having your loved ones try them without telling them they’re dairy-free. Remember to have fun with cooking, and know that you don’t have to settle for bad food just because of dietary restrictions! 

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.