Your Choices, My Choices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

“ You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.” – John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.

Did you know that people make 35,000 choices a day? If you have read or seen the movie The Fault in Our Stars, you will know exactly what John Green is talking about, said by character Augustus Waters.  As the year is coming to an end, it is time to reflect on 2014 and what we have brought upon ourselves through the decisions we have made. Not the choices that we are not really conscience but of the choices we make that we enjoy.

As a college student, we have the freedom of doing anything we want. Yes, everything. There is no such thing as a good choice or a bad choice because it is what benefits you and makes you feel happy. You might do something as go out with friends before an exam but it won’t hurt you if you have chosen to study says before. The negative opinions others don’t matter because it is your life. In my personal experience, I have been offered opportunities that would look great on a resumé but chose to turn them down because I did not feel comfortable accepting them at the time, maybe even never. I did not want to have to commit more time and my choice was to focus on my extracurriculars but they are something I would rather much focus on. On the other hand, I have gladly accepted opportunities that have made me a happier student on campus because I enjoy the things I am involved with. Rejecting an opportunity is a choice, a choice that someone else can benefit from and it’s okay to make decisions for yourself and not for others.

Referencing the quote, like your choices. Like them based on not only joy, but of benefit as well. Did you like having to stay indoors and study instead of going to the movies with your friends? Probably not. Did you like that you beat the curve because you studied? Of course! Do you wish you could have approached that cute boy in class and not have to wonder what could have been if you have made a move? Definitely. While we might able to control our emotions 100% of the time, we can make the best of any situation by doing other activities we enjoy by replacing the choice that made you unhappy. We have a say in what we do and how we come about them. If you want to have an amazing 2015, like the choices you make. Because I know I do.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.