Life > Experiences

You Can Still Celebrate Galentine’s Even Though You Have An S.O.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Sunday, February 13th: One of the most highly anticipated days of the year (and no, not because it’s the date of Super Bowl LVI). In just a few days from now, millions of women will be ringing in celebrations for this year’s Galentine’s Day, a holiday dedicated to empowering women and curving feelings of loneliness that society attempts to impose through over-the-top Valentine’s Day celebrations amongst couples. Many believe that once you ~finally~ go through a successful cuffing-season that you’re no longer expected at Galentine’s Day events with friends, but that couldn’t be any further from the truth. 

Parks And Recreation Happy Galentines Day GIF by NBC - Find & Share on GIPHY
Parks And Recreation Happy Galentines Day GIF By NBC via Giphy

Galentine’s Day takes place a day before its over-hyped, romantic counterpart to ensure that women are still able to make time for the “gals” that hold special places in their hearts. Speaking from experience, one of the biggest mistakes made by newly established couples is spending every free moment together and consequently turning their backs on lifelong friendships as a result. A healthy balance of friends, family and romantic relationships is necessary to have a successful social life in my opinion, so it’s crucial that we expand our focus to women empowerment as well as the celebration of romantic love this February. 

I’d like to point out that even if you don’t have an S.O. at this point in time, there is no reason that feelings of loneliness or exclusion should wrack your heart this month. Galentine’s Day was created for this very reason: to make sure women realize that all of the people in their life provide loving relationships and fun memories and that a romantic relationship isn’t necessary to accomplish this. Furthermore, you don’t need to force yourself into a relationship just to have plans this Valentine’s Day, embrace the sentiment of Galentine’s Day! 

Love You Hug GIF by Filmin - Find & Share on GIPHY
Love You Hug GIF By Filmin via Giphy

While Valentine’s Day calls for candlelit dinners, cheesy proposals, beds of roses and Forrest Gump’s mother’s favorite metaphor for life, Galentine’s supplies women with the freedom to do whatever they want and create their own traditions for the holiday. Go crazy with your new charcuterie board ideas, binge the latest season of Euphoria while drinking the finest boxed-wine Bevmo has to offer or have an all-out game night! Galentine’s Day will only be as great as you allow it to be, so keep an open mind and do not cancel last minute (even if a bubble bath and early bedtime are practically shouting your name). 

In addition, not only should you make a concerted effort to spend time with the women that lift you up in life, but you should encourage your S.O. to do the same. When we are living in a world as crazy as this, holding onto the supportive, long-lasting relationships that have helped us to keep moving forward every day is more important than you realize. I promise that you won’t regret spending this Super Bowl Sunday with a night full of friendship and fun…just make sure it’s after watching the Rams vs. Bengals beatdown that afternoon, of course.  

Emma Stone Thumbs Up GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Emma Stone Thumbs Up GIF via Giphy

One final note: As you spend the evening with your fellow women, don’t begrudge those that do have relationships to be celebrated the following day. Be happy for those that have found a love so beautiful that they want to celebrate its significance in their lives, and remember that your time is coming. Love is always around the corner, so make peace with the relationships you have right now in the meantime. Happy Galentine’s Day!

Grace LaPlante is currently a senior English major at UCLA—she’s a literature lover, music enthusiast and sports fanatic with dreams of traveling the world someday!