This Woman was Harassed at Bank for Wearing a Hijab

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Earlier this week, American Muslim Jamela Mohamed was harassed at a South Credit Union in Washington for wearing a hijab. In a video recording Mohamed captured, a supervisor told Mohamed to remove her “hood,” threatening to call the police and not attend to her. A sign appeared saying that customers are not allowed to wear hats, sunglasses, or hoods, but Mohamed calmly explained that a hijab is not a hood. She went to her car where the supervisor followed her. What was what said was inaudible.

In her car, Mohamed records herself venting her situation and her feeling of embarrassment. As of now, this situation is currently going through investigation. South Credit Union took to Twitter to release a statement expressing their concerns. Until the investigation is complete, South Credit Union cannot comment any further regarding the individuals involved.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.