9545DD32 2A32 4516 ABE4 394FD02AAD87JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
9545DD32 2A32 4516 ABE4 394FD02AAD87JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Melanie Haid
Style

Winter LookBook: Modest Outfit Inspo For My Fellow Tall Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Hey girl, I can see you are rummaging through your closet asking yourself why you can’t think of something decent to wear. Trust me, I’ve been there.

Let’s be honest, the world of fashion isn’t very welcoming for gals that can’t find dresses that don’t end up looking like a mini skirt. The tall girl has a harder chance of finding something nice to wear in a sea of clothing catered toward smaller, more petite young women (no hate towards our smaller gals, of course). The problem increases even more so for girls that like to dress modestly; it hurts to struggle finding something to feel fashionable in, since the modest fashion market is sadly very low. But don’t fret my friends; I  want to share three outfits I’ve been wearing for any event – whether it is going to get groceries or going to church. It’s all about inspiring you to make the most of the pieces you have in your wardrobe.  

The Pinterest Girl

This outfit is inspired by the one picture of a girl wearing a similar outfit sitting outside in a coffee shop you’ve pinned on your Fashion Inspiration board. Think about it: it’s the early morning, and you are walking the streets of Paris with a comfortable yet so à la mode outfit. That’s exactly the vibe I was going for with this outfit. I am in love with the pairing of the white button up shirt and the turtleneck underneath for warmth; it is also perfect if you don’t want to feel self-conscious of visible undergarments. Since I live in a desert town where the temperature is over 100 degrees fahrenheit, adding the turtleneck underneath the sheer blouse is a luxury. With the sheer button-up blouse, instead of tucking in the white shirt, I tied a knot to cinch the waist a bit. To top it off, I wore my one-inch heel black boots which I adore and give you extra height! Now that I think about it, I should have added a belt to such a neutral look… so don’t make my mistake and accessorize! 

The K-Drama Protagonist

Who said we can’t use bright colors during the cold and snowy season? I was first introduced to the combo of a turtleneck and a flowy blouse in a Kdrama called, “Something in the Rain.” There is always something about Korean fashion that lures me in; if I could choose a spokesperson for modest fashion, it’d be the kdrama stylists, because every look inspires me to dress up like my life is actually interesting. What I love about this look is the color of the printed shirt does not have to be a specific color as long as it compliments the turtleneck underneath! With this outfit, you get to make the rules! Also, if you have a neutral-colored trench coat or blazer, it will make the colors of your outfit stand out. Finally, I like repeating various pieces, which is why I am wearing the same blue jeans and boots.

She Was A Skater Girl

Calling all the Avril Lavigne fans; this look is inspired by the early 2000s skater look. The combination of the navy blue, chocolate brown and autumn orange of the outfit is complete with the contrast stitch black midi skirt. This outfit is perfect for a quick errand run where you still want to look put together; hence, the tote bag! Just choose your favorite loose-fitting graphic tee over a long sleeve shirt tucked into a midi skirt to achieve the look. Top it off with your favorite sneakers to make this look even more casual. The beanie was a personal touch. It helps with bad hair days, but it also makes the outfit look hip. Is this what the kids call “trendy” now?

To my fellow tall girls, outfit inspiration is found everywhere you look. Don’t feel discouraged by your love for modest fashion – but instead, own it. The outfit does not have to match the Instagram models. You can experiment with your own clothing pieces to achieve the look, and it always ends up looking better than the original, because it is your personal style! Don’t compromise your unique style for the current trends. Sooner or later, modest fashion will be the new craze, and you’ll be whom many look to for inspiration!

Marvin is a Junior majoring in Korean and (hopefully) minoring in Comparative Literature. Her dream of living in LA has become a reality, even if she lives the UCLA experience through Zoom.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.