Wellness > Mental Health

Why You Should Unfollow That Instagram Baddie To Improve Your Own Well-Being

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Social media can be a very harmful place if you are not careful. It is too easy to scroll through pictures and videos for hours on end, constantly comparing your body to the bodies of others. In addition, brands know how to profit off of unrealistic beauty standards and insecurities while using influencers to sell their harmful products and ideas. Having your social media feed flooded with images of celebrities and influencers who do not look anything like you can be extremely detrimental to your mental health and self-esteem. If you find yourself staring at someone’s picture a little longer than necessary and feeling jealous or insecure, it is probably time to unfollow them.

instagram, insights
Unsplash
An embarrassing amount of my screen time is taken up by social media. I often find myself scrolling through Instagram and Tiktok without realizing how much time has passed. This is partially because whenever I see a pretty girl on my Instagram Explore page, I will click to her profile and look at every photo, comparing myself to her. By engaging with these posts, however, I am telling Instagram that I want to see more of this content, even though I really do not. So, my Explore page becomes filled with pictures that trigger my insecurities. Once the algorithm decides it knows what you want to see, it can be difficult to find other content. Social media creates a self-reinforcing cycle that thrives on unrealistic beauty standards.

Some influencers promote products like diet teas and waist trainers to their young audiences and claim that these products are why their bodies look so good. In reality, weight loss teas usually contain dangerous laxatives not intended for regular use, and waist trainers can permanently damage your organs. However, these effects are never disclosed through a simple Instagram post. Easily impressionable young girls may risk their health in order to look like their favorite influencer without even knowing it. While it is possible that these influencers might actually use the products they swear by, it is also likely that their bodies look the way they do because of expensive workout programs, photo editing or even plastic surgery. I am not trying to shame people for getting plastic surgery, but I do think it is their responsibility to be transparent about their procedures if they do. When girls find themselves believing that people naturally have big, round and perky breasts as well as a 22 inch waist and wide hips, they start wondering why their bodies do not look like that. They might even resort to buying the harmful products that these influencers advertise. 

body image, waist, measuring tape
Unsplash
One way I have tried to combat my insecurities is by unfollowing people that I find myself continuously comparing myself to. As a skinny girl with nonexistent curves, I know I get insecure looking at curvier girls. I also know that there are girls that get insecure looking at people with my body type. I have started following mostly girls with similar bodies to me. Seeing girls that look like me who are confident in themselves has helped me start to feel more confident in my own skin, too. At the end of the day, very few people are truly 100% happy with the way they look, no matter what that is. Instead of letting social media convince me that I should not look the way I do, I let it empower me to be the best I can be. When I follow influencers, it is for their style, confidence and mentality more than it is for their looks. I follow artists for the positive messages they put in their work. I follow informative accounts that allow me to educate myself on things I am passionate about. 

Social media can be a great way to stay in touch with friends and to learn new things. However, it can also be a place that encourages unhealthy habits and attitudes. To make the most out of your social media, consider doing a feed cleanse so that you are only following people who inspire you and make you feel good about yourself. 

Rachel was the Co-Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at UCLA in the 2021-2022 academic year. In her free time, she loves hanging around flea markets and exploring different neighborhoods in LA!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.