Why We Should Still Continue To Celebrate In The Midst Of A Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Congratulations class of 2021! You did it! Now take a step back and allow yourself to have those three words sink in: “you did it.”

All of those late nights, stressful exam periods and balancing everything you do while going to college was successful. It’s time that we really celebrate you and all that you have accomplished regardless of the pandemic. I think if this past year and a half has taught us anything, it’s that even though the world may get chaotic, life will still go on. We need to continue to celebrate all of the little and big things we do so we can not only keep living, but move on to the next chapter of our lives. 

Female students throw their graduation caps in the air.
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Having graduated during this time just shows that you are capable of incredible things. The world is an unpredictable place. We can only do so much to prepare for our good and bad days. I believe the best thing we can do is keep pushing forward in order to achieve our goals we have set out for ourselves. Keep going to school, even if it’s virtual. Keep pushing to get an internship even if they are hard to come by. By going through all of these experiences, you learned more than anyone how to adapt, react and overcome difficult circumstances. 

two women blowing glitters from palms during daytime
Photo by Jonathan Daniels from Unsplash

Not only have you learned that you are capable of doing hard things, but you have learned that circumstances are temporary. With the end of the pandemic coming more visible each day, it is now more important than ever to keep living. This moment of graduating is temporary. Soon you’ll be in the midst of life and will have missed out on this opportunity to celebrate you! Be proud of yourself and don’t let life slip by. Sometimes the best thing is to keep going and pushing forward. But we must not let ourselves miss the moments where we can pause and appreciate all of the incredible things we have accomplished. This is one of those moments. 

Even though the world may not be in a time of celebration, you have to create your own moment and appreciate the amazing person you are so you can end this chapter and move forward to the next one.

Ava Burford is a junior at UCLA. She is passionate about uplifting others through her writing, philanthropic work and blog. She is apart of the sorority Pi Beta Phi and enjoys running and being with her family in her free time.