IMG 2956JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 2956JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Why We Should Be Grateful For 2020 In Spite Of Everything That’s Happened This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We all know how 2020 started: raging fires in Australia, the loss of one of the world’s most famous athletes, Kobe Bryant and the first case of COVID-19 in the United States. The year continued with mandated lockdowns, small businesses suffering, college and high school seniors graduating online while other students continued courses via Zoom University, the death of George Floyd which led a nationwide BLM protest, and finally, the extremely close and stressful presidential election. It was a lot for anyone to handle, but on top of the world’s and nation’s pressing issues, we each had our own personal battles to fight. Whether it be deteriorating mental health, social and health issues arising among loved ones or simply losing all motivation. Yet, we continue to persist, and there will always be light at the end of the tunnel.

Unsplash / Element 5

Our nation has experienced a great deal of death in the last year. We have had grandparents die, children, parents and the list just goes on and on. Not only have we had to deal with death from a new and unknown virus, but also we have had to carry the stress and anxiety of our health more than ever. A simple cough or a random sore throat typically never bothered people before 2020, but now everyone’s initial thought is the Coronavirus. People in this country have dealt with loved ones testing positive, having to quarantine and praying they will not end up in the hospital or even worse. Regardless, COVID-19 has taught me and many others that we need to be grateful for our bodies and mental state, no matter how bad times can get. Personally, my loved ones and I are thankfully healthy and I have never been so grateful for that. Quarantining and COVID-19 has also taught me to not take the small moments for granted, and honestly, ever since that realization, life has not been as bleak as it was before. 

reuseable surgical mask with phrase \"don\'t panic\" on a pink letter board
Photo by Tonik from Unsplash

Many people became hopeful last week. For many of us, the President of our choosing won the tight race; anxiety and stress were lifted off of our shoulders and for the first time in a long time, we believed our nation was capable of getting back on track. Personally, I am not the type of person to cry out of joy, but once it became quite clear Biden had won the presidency with the first female Vice Oresident, my eyes became watery. This election not only taught me that quite literally every single vote counted, but also if this nation remains strong together and works together, anything can be done. Trump being president this last year was extremely difficult on many of us, but now we have a presidency to be entirely grateful for. I am thankful that little girls and people of color finally have some representation in the Oval Office. Biden and Kamala have made American history, and I finally feel like our nation can breathe again.

Photo by Clay Banks on Unsplash

Remember those annoying sayings our older family members would tell us during the holidays or reunions? “Enjoy these moments right now,” “Be present with the people around you” or “One day you are going to miss this”. Now more than ever, I truly understand why those sayings were said. Yes, this year has been difficult, and everyone experienced their own personal challenges; but this year also proves there is always light at the end of the tunnel, and to never give up on hope. Most importantly, I learned that I need to be there for myself before anyone else. Quarantine and the world constantly changing due to the election and the pandemic has taught me to not only be thankful, but also has taught me I am strong enough to handle any curveball life may throw my way.

Yasmin is a second year student at UCLA. She is majoring in Psychobiology and minoring in Global Health. Other than being involved in Her Campus, she does research at the Semel Institute in Los Angeles and is a member of Flying Sams. She loves reading, binge watching Netflix shows, and painting (even though she isn't great).
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.