Red Roses
Red Roses
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Why “The Courtship” Is Your Next Favorite Reality TV Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I’ve never been a huge fan of reality dating shows. While my high school friends watched every season of The Bachelor franchise and my sister obsessed over Too Hot To Handle during quarantine, the hype always went over my head. But when I heard about The Courtship airing on NBC this year, I knew I had to give this genre another shot. And boy has this new program delivered.

The Courtship takes the typical dating competition and spices up the formula with a Regency-inspired time traveling twist. The suitors go by their surnames, the star’s parents and close friends weigh in on the voting decisions and the challenges all take place in a gorgeous castle in the English countryside. It’s like you put Bridgerton in a blender with The Bachelorette and created the perfect mixture of drama, absurdity and sweet romance.

What I love about The Courtship is it leans into ridiculousness and never takes itself too seriously. The added layer of vaguely historical costumes draws out all of the comical and unbelievable tropes we tend to associate with reality TV. From the petty fights between the guys in britches to the melodramatic ballroom eliminations, each scene comes with a wink of self-awareness from the producers. Grossly inaccurate Jane Austen quotes pepper the episodes, constantly reminding viewers that this show is all about suspending your imagination and having some harmless, feel-good fun.

Beyond the hilarity of seeing modern men struggle with faux-Regency etiquette, I also genuinely enjoy the leading lady and her dynamics with the contestants. The Courtship’s protagonist, Ms. Rémy, is an outgoing software engineer who dives headfirst into all of the show’s shenanigans and puts a good faith effort into meeting each of her potential boyfriends. Meanwhile, the cast of men is wonderfully diverse, with suitors hailing from several continents and every profession under the sun (a doctor, a pizzeria owner, a model, a real estate agent?). Watching each man tackle the pursuit of Ms. Rémy’s heart with their own playful gimmick makes for uniquely dynamic plot lines.

Whether you are a die-hard reality TV super fan or a literary snob, The Courtship is a must-watch. It’s the perfect light-hearted program to binge-watch with friends on a Friday night or put on in the background as you go about your chores. I, for one, will certainly stream the rest of the season on Hulu and devour every last crumb of ahistorical entertainment. I’m currently team Mr. Cones; which suitor will you back?

Kate is a third-year English major at UCLA, hailing from San Francisco. When she's not editing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys getting lost in a good book and experimenting with vegan recipes.