Why I Would And Wouldn’t Study At These 5 Spots At UCLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Everyone has their favorite coffee shop, but I don’t because I am afraid of commitment and can not stay in one place for long periods of time. So, I thought I would dive into the different coffee shops I’ve been to while at UCLA and distinguish which ones are the best to study at in case you’re looking for different options.

Kerckhoff Coffeehouse 

Ah yes, the famous Kerckhoff Coffeehouse. Literally, Kerckhoff has been featured in multiple movies like Legally Blonde, Scream 2, and Oppenheimer! It’s a very good looking coffeehouse and I think it encompasses a cozy “university coffee shop.” I like Kerckhoff, but because it’s the most famous, it’s always full. And although it depends on the day and time, for the most part, it’s always poppin’ (literally, because the music is blasting). The last few times I went to Kerckhoff, I was so into the music that was playing and I really wasn’t studying all that much so I had to leave. Kerckhoff is really good for the ambiance, and if you’re doing busy work that doesn’t require a lot of focus. If you’re someone who works best when there are other noises around you, I recommend Kerckhoff – but don’t expect an empty seat right away. 

Evelyn & Mo Ostin Music Cafe 

I’ve only started going to the music cafe regularly this past quarter because it’s been the closest to the majority of my classes and to the bus stop! It does have a tendency to be busy but when you go later in the day, it’s typically not as full. I have been able to sit down there and properly study, because the music doesn’t blast, and there are more options for big tables in comparison to Kerckhoff. That being said, there aren’t that many tables; but, if you’re planning on studying in the evening, the music cafe is my pick!

Northern Lights Cafe 

Northern Lights Cafe is where I would go all the time last year, and it is the coffee shop where I get the most work done. There are minimal distractions here, thanks to the giant room with the fireplace and tables that is separate from the actual “cafe.” I also run cold and have to be comfy and cozy when I study, so the fireplace in the middle is a wonderful touch. No music is played in the room with tables and fireplace, but I believe there is in the actual cafe. The cafe sells poke bowls and paninis! Also, right outside of it there is another campus store where you can get snacks for a successful study session. Northern Lights is for when you actually want to focus and get things done! 

Ministry of Coffee

Out of all the coffee shops in Westwood, Ministry of Coffee is the only one that I can study in. Typically I can’t do work unless it’s mostly quiet and I have a nice big table to get comfortable at. I don’t know if I’m just lucky, but I always get that at MOC, and they’re not stingy with their outlets or WiFi. There’s an outdoor portion that seems mainly for eating and mingling, so the indoor portion is full of people collectively enjoying their coffee and doing work. It’s a really lovely place to study, but could also serve as a nice place to have a discourse in (which I have). But, I mainly like to study there; it’s a happy medium. 

Espresso Profeta  

Finally, the only coffee shop I probably won’t study in. I’ve only been here a handful of times and I don’t feel like it would be the best place to study for me, personally. They don’t have outlets, but the place is really cute! It gets a lot of sunlight, and the coffee here is really good. I would actually recommend it if you have all of your devices fully charged and only want to study for a small period of time. I prefer to go here with friends on a day where we just want to chit-chat and get some coffee. 

I hope you guys enjoyed my personal review on coffee shops at and around UCLA. Hopefully you’ll keep these recommendations in mind for next quarter!

Odette is a first-generation Mexican-American senior completing her undergraduate degree at the University of California Los Angeles. This is her first year on the HerCampus editorial team and is super excited about being able to improve her portfolio and experience as a writer. Outside of HerCampus Odette enjoys reading books of fiction and writing songs and poetry.