Picture of my pink hair
Picture of my pink hair
Original photo by Allison Oliva

Why I Decided To Dye My Hair Pink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I’ve loved dying my hair since I was 12 years old. Every month when the color would fade from my hair, I would look at the rainbow and pick a new color. I always felt that with every new hair color I had, my personality would change. However, the bleach eventually caused a lot of damage to my hair, so I had to take a break. Growing out my natural hair was a long and tiresome process. There were moments where I appreciated the natural look, but I felt like my hair didn’t match my bubbly personality. 

Picture of my pastel purple hair
Original photo by Allison Oliva
I told myself that once my hair was healthy enough, I would dye it again. There were a lot of reasons I wanted to dye my hair and no reasons not to do it. 

First of all, I’m young. I can afford to make these crazy decisions! Once I enter the workforce, I most likely won’t be able to dye my hair wild colors anymore, so I might as well do it now while I still have the time. Besides, life is too short to worry about looking different. Our generation has been particularly vocal about breaking societal norms, so why not dye your hair pink? I was also getting really bored while in quarantine. Since I wasn’t seeing many people, I figured that if my hair ended up looking horrible, I could just hide at home until I could fix it. 

Picture of my pink hair
Original photo by Allison Oliva

I definitely don’t regret dying my hair. Even if I ruined my hair, I loved looking at myself in the mirror and seeing my hair change colors every day. 

If you’ve ever thought about dying your hair, just do it. The most you’ve got to lose is a few dollars, and in return, you get a couple of months with really fun hair. I used to worry about how I’d look to people, but every time I dyed my hair, people just told me that they always wanted to dye their hair, too. 

Picture of me with orange hair
Original photo by Allison Oliva
Let go of the fear and live a little!

Allison is a feature writer at UCLA who loves hanging out at the beach and eating any kind of dessert.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.