Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why I Believe That Valentine’s Day Is The Most Overrated Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Ever since I was young, I have never understood the point of Valentine’s Day. Everyone plans a fancy dinner with their significant other and buys them a ton of goodies. It always seemed meaningless to me. My parents always got me a card and some candy to be sweet, but I just did not understand why Valentine’s Day was a thing. What is the significance of buying expensive cards and gifts for some silly holiday? Unlike Christmas, Hanukkah or really any other holiday, there is no real meaning behind Valentine’s Day.

heart shaped gift w plant
Photo by Giftpundits.com from Pexels

Personally, I think Valentine’s Day was just a holiday created for people to spend crazy amounts of money on their loved ones. The reason I do not approve of Valentine’s Day is because I feel like we should not show our significant others or friends we love them just on one day. We should be showing them we love them every day through little gestures. Even though I am in a relationship and I am still going to get my significant other a gift, I do not feel the need to go all out and spend a ton of money. I try to show him I care about him every other day of the year by doing small, meaningful things for him like giving him a massage or writing him a nice letter.

Photo by Laula & Co on Unsplash

I appreciate people doing nice things for me on Valentine’s Day, but can’t they just do those things on every other day of the year too? Valentine’s Day should not be the only time you show your significant other or friends you care about them. Keep doing the little things for them and they will know that you care about them always

Caitlyn studied at UCLA where she majored in English and minored in film. She loves writing about all things lifestyle and entertainment related. When she is not writing articles, she loves going to hot yoga, reading, and binge-watching One Tree Hill for the hundredth time!