Why I Am So Thankful To My Family For Supporting Me At Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Last September, as I drove down to Los Angeles with my parents, hauling almost everything I owned with me, I never would have thought that seven months later I would be doing the same trip back home. This time however, instead of wearing my new UCLA hoodie, I would be wearing a face mask, gloves and having to change my clothes before I entered my front door. Moving back home was never a part of the larger “plan” that I had imagined for myself when I started college. That being said, over the past seven months, I am so grateful that I have been able to come home and receive much needed support during this time. I’ve learned that sometimes things don’t work out the way you had intended, and that’s okay.

overhead view of a woman sitting in front of her laptop
Photo by energepic.com from Pexels

Transitioning home to a household full of large animals, food portions and boys was a little bit of an adjustment, but my parents made it as seamless as it could be. They immediately respected my commitments to sorority meetings, homework, virtual club events, attending lectures and whatever else that was a part of my college routine. Additionally, by keeping open communication with them, it was easier for them to understand my time commitments and when I would be available for family time. By establishing this earlier on, this gave my parents a stronger grasp for how I was managing my time, which helped us create a calmer culture within the household.

a photo of an open planner
Free-Photos | Pixabay

Not only did they help create a solid study environment and place to participate in my clubs, but they have provided me with much needed advice and support that has helped me advance in my personal goals. This past year, I have greatly enjoyed writing, and I wanted to pursue more opportunities where I could practice this skill. My parents didn’t push me, but rather guided me to put myself more out there and take advantage of all the opportunities UCLA has. They were simply there when I needed them to be and knew when I needed them to take a step back. 

person looking at their phone while working on a laptop
Photo by Christina Morillo from Unsplash
Being home has been better than I could have ever imagined. Even though college is meant for us to have different experiences, I find myself still continuing holiday traditions, and I am more than okay with that. While being at home, I have realized that moving away doesn’t mean that I have to leave family time and traditions behind, but that they will continue to follow me if that is what I choose. I could not ask for a better place to be during such an uncertain time in the world. I know that when I do go back to college, I will be stronger and more efficient than I was when I started. Thank you Mom and Dad for helping me become more prepared to thrive. I love you and I am forever grateful for all that you have given me.

If you find yourself living at home, create a study space for yourself, keep open communication with your parents and talk about your options and your goals for when you want to go back. Life does not wait for us to catch up. We must keep living and doing things that progress our lives no matter where we are located. Life does unexpectedly change, but it is up to us if we let it stop us from living. I could have done that last March, but my parents helped me keep on track and achieve more than I thought would be possible during a pandemic. In my case, moving back home wasn’t a step back, but a launch forward into my life.

Ava Burford is a junior at UCLA. She is passionate about uplifting others through her writing, philanthropic work and blog. She is apart of the sorority Pi Beta Phi and enjoys running and being with her family in her free time.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.