happy b day balloon wall decors 1543762jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
happy b day balloon wall decors 1543762jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels
Wellness

Why I Am Grateful That My Birthday Falls On Thanksgiving This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Thanks to my late November birthday, I always end up turning one year older around the time of Thanksgiving. My 19th birthday will actually fall on Thanksgiving this year, which is why it will be extra special for me. Although not everyone would be excited to spend an entire birthday with their family, it is something I am truly looking forward to. 

I remember being completely ecstatic over my birthday when I was younger. I would prepare by planning the coolest, most insane parties and sleepovers. One year, I even threw a High School Musical themed party, which was insane. I loved that all of my friends and family members came together to celebrate me. I was the center of attention, and 9-year-old me absolutely loved it. 

But as I got older, I valued these types of things less and less. The huge parties turned into simple movie nights and karaoke with a small group of friends. I started having separate celebrations with just family on Thanksgiving. And this set-up was perfect. As the years went by, I recognized that family was the most important thing in my life, and I started to value their time more and more. I began to understand how much my parents had sacrificed for me ever since I was little. I realized that my sisters were my best friends and that my mood instantly lifted whenever I was around them. I was going to be leaving for college soon, so it was incredibly important to cherish every moment with my family, whether it was during my birthday or while sitting at the kitchen table watching my mom cook dinner. 

Last year was the first time I spent my birthday away from my family. I was not able to go home because it was after Thanksgiving break, right in the midst of midterms. Although I still had a blast with my friends, it felt weird to not be with my family, which is why I am more than happy to be spending my entire day with them this year.

Every Thanksgiving, my family meets with my paternal family for lunch and my maternal side for dinner. I am the eldest grandchild on my dad’s side, so family get-togethers usually consist of me running around with my little cousins in the backyard. It reminds me of the times I would play with them, back when the age gap did not seem like such a big difference. Sometimes I feel a disconnect from my cousins just because I am now a college student, which is why it is so essential that I appreciate these simple moments where I feel like a carefree kid again. After playing in the backyard, we all go inside to eat the delicious food prepared by my grandma, where she puts a Vietnamese twist on classic Thanksgiving foods. 

On my mom’s side, we begin the night by eating more mouthwatering Thanksgiving food, but this time with a Filipino twist. We sit on the couches and socialize for a while as a Netflix movie usually plays in the background. After we are done eating, the classic Filipino household activity commences: karaoke (and a lot of it). Several of my family members blow the rest of us away with their talent, and then I step in and sing a few tunes with everyone. After eventually going through what seems like the entire CD, we give each other hugs and say our goodbyes. 

I always make sure to remind myself how fortunate I am to have so many family members that I can both enjoy the company of and rely on. The last time my birthday overlapped with Thanksgiving was when I was in the 7th grade, and that year, my relatives on both sides brought me presents and sang happy birthday to me, which was super sweet and very much appreciated. But for my 19th birthday, I am looking forward to just spending the day with loved ones on a holiday that has always brought me so much joy. 

Sometimes I catch myself taking my family for granted, but then I remember how much time has gone by, and I do not want to spend another minute of this precious time not being 100% grateful. Family is and always will be my number one priority. So while having my birthday on Thanksgiving has its perks, the best gift I could ask for has already been granted to me for the past 18 years: quality time with the people I love. This day is just going to be a bit more special. 

Ashley Ha

UCLA '22

Ashley is a third-year psychobiology major at UCLA. When she's not watching YouTube, she enjoys singing, songwriting, playing piano, and spending time with family and friends. She is also obsessed with Community and believes Britta is NOT the worst.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.