This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In honor of International Women’s Day, let’s take a dive into some of the beauty world’s most successful non-white female entrepreneurs and their journeys in a highly competitive industry. From going viral for beauty tutorials on Youtube to struggling through problems every startup company faces, these three women entrepreneurs truly give off all the power of beauty, brain and brawn:

Deepica Mutyala – Live Tinted

Founder Deepica Mutyala went famous almost a decade ago with her viral youtube video showing how to cover under-eye bags with red lipstick. Since then, she has launched her own brand, Live Tinted, creating products meant to highlight the natural beauty of people with skin colors all across the spectrum. Live Tinted’s social media presence highlights some amazing collaborations with influencers of color from around the world, including Priyanka Chopra. What an icon!

Rihanna – Fenty Beauty

Another woman pioneering the way into the beauty industry for people of color is the pop icon, Rihanna! Inspired by makeup looks and expression she saw while growing up in Barbados, Rihanna began her foray into the beauty world after an exclusive deal with Louis Vuitton Cosmetics by launching her own brand that catered to women of color. After many successful launches, the queen is worth more than a billion dollars, with no intention to retire. Way to shake the beauty world by its feet!

Huda Kattan – Huda Beauty

Coming from a background in corporate finance, being a beauty entrepreneur was probably the last thing Huda Kattan thought she’d do. After a short stint as a makeup artist with Revlon, she was encouraged to start a blog showing off tips and tricks of the trade to her followers. Her style has since then gone viral, attracting the likes of Kim Kardashian, and Forbes declared her in 2018 as one of the most powerful influencers of the year.

Though the industry has traditionally catered to women, these three entrepreneurs have recently shaken it to the ground by tapping into previously uncharted territories for women of color. I remember growing up and never being able to find quite the correct shade of foundation for myself or products that’d make me feel good in my own skin. International Women’s Day is a day to acknowledge and celebrate all the intersectional aspects that make us all proud to be female. I hope reading this makes you give yourself a pat on the back for being a girlboss too!

Somashree is a 3rd year Economics major minoring in Environmental Systems and Society and Digital Humanities. She's a huge cinephile with a special affinity for historical dramas (eg. The Crown or Bridgerton). She also loves learning languages and hopes to learn at least 4 languages by the end of the decade.