Which Jane Austen Adaptation Should You Watch This Valentine’s Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Each year when Valentine’s Day rolls around, and I’m itching to watch some romantic films, Jane Austen adaptations are my absolute go-to. You just can’t go wrong with the beautiful Regency costumes, swoon-worthy accents and butterfly-inducing proposal scenes! If you’re struggling to find the perfect film to stream during a Galentine’s Day get-together or comfy V-Day night at home, look no further. These films all pair Austen’s timeless stories with stellar casts and dreamy settings. So, without further ado, here’s a full-proof list matching you with the perfect Austen romance to stream this week:

If you love rom coms

The 2020 version of Emma is perfect for those of us who don’t like our romances to be too serious. This recent adaptation plays up the funny scenes of Austen’s classic novel with a host of hilarious supporting actors and over-the-top costuming. To make matters even better, Emma features tons of popular actors like Anya Taylor-Joy and several cast members from Sex Education. These familiar faces help make the film more fun and accessible for viewers who aren’t already Austen fans. You can currently find Emma streaming on platforms like Prime Video and AppleTV.

If you love to keep it old-school

The 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility is an all-around classic, and for good reason. Not only does the plot follow multiple touching romances and gorgeous shots of the English countryside, but there are strong themes of family and moral growth. If you prefer wholesome romances that perfectly tie up in the end, this film is for you! The cast is also chock full of Hollywood heavyweights like Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet and Hugh Grant, who bring loads of quintessential British charm to the film. You can currently watch Sense and Sensibility on streaming services like Hulu.

If you love the “will they/won’t they” trope

The 1995 version of Persuasion is ideal if your favorite part of a romance is wondering if your ship will pull through. This movie has the perfect combination of knowing glances, stolen conversations and agonizing miscommunications which all come to a head at the end of the film. Of course, in addition to this tension, the movie features a beautiful array of settings and a healthy portion of Austen’s signature humor. I personally loved this movie so much that I immediately read Persuasion the minute that I finished the film! You can currently go watch Persuasion on either Prime Video or Apple TV.

If you love edgy storylines

The 1995 version of Mansfield Park takes several liberties with its Austen source material, and the result is a slightly darker romance that is sure to keep you hooked. This movie doesn’t shy away from tackling problematic elements of the Regency time period and overtly mentioning sexuality. So, if most Austen adaptations aren’t your fav and you usually opt for modern romantic films, you’ll probably fall in love with the complexities of Mansfield Park‘s plot. You can currently stream Mansfield Park on multiple platforms like Prime Video and Google Play.

If you love the drama

The 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice will have you feeling all of the feels. At times you will want to scream at your screen, and at other times you’ll be crying tears of joy along with Keira Knightley. While many of my fellow Austen snobs will tell you that the 1995 Pride and Prejudice mini-series is a more truthful adaptation of the novel, this film checks all of the boxes for an over-the-top Valentine’s Day flick. You just can’t beat the gorgeous shots of ballroom dances and the iconic makeout scene in the rain! You can currently check out Pride and Prejudice on platforms like HBO Max and Prime Video.

Whether you opt for the whimsical Emma 2020 or the cultural reset which was Pride and Prejudice 2005, I hope that this list has helped you nail down your movie pick this Valentine’s Day. Each of the five options is truly perfect for any hopeless romantic, so you really can’t go wrong.  I love so many of these films that I’m probably going to binge-watch at least two or three!

Kate is a third-year English major at UCLA, hailing from San Francisco. When she's not editing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys getting lost in a good book and experimenting with vegan recipes.