Wellness > Health

What’s In Your Fridge? Easy Fruits And Veggies For The Busy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The first few weeks of school are some of the busiest we all have each quarter, so prioritizing meal scheduling is key. On a personal level, picking out things to eat that will make me happy when I am screaming at myself for how many classes I’m planning to change (already) is crucial to my well-being. If you feel stressed about school and know that having one thing that’s in your control might help, try this…

In case you don’t have any idea what should be waiting for you when you get back to your dorm or apartment, I came up with a few recipes including our foods of the day: fresh fruits and vegetables! Fresh fruits and veggies will change your life. I’m sure someone has told you before that fruits and vegetables provide you with lots of nutrients, but I’m here to say it again. We’re at the start of sick season, what with coming back to school and being around a bunch of new classmates and friends, so having those added vitamins will come in handy. My favorite places to get these bad boys – no surprise – are Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.

Most of our college budgets do not stretch far enough to buy organics, but do not fear. Both of these stores have high quality produce when it comes to their fresh sections. Here are just a few ideas of what to search for that are on the clean fifteen list for this season: avocados, onions, papaya, mushrooms, cabbage, mangoes, carrots, the list goes on. For those of you who don’t know, the clean fifteen is a list that comes out every year of the fruits and veggies that have the least amount of pesticides used (if any) and are generally considered similar to organic.

Because fruits and vegetables are honestly my number one recommendation, making snacks that are fast and easy to set aside later is key. Chia seed overnight oats is a great way to make an easy breakfast to-go that you can totally customize to your liking. My favorite fruits to add to this are blueberries and bananas (but I bet mangoes would be really good, too). Pro tip: if you mash up the fruit at the bottom it makes you feel like you’re eating that fancy french yogurt!  

Another really good and easy recipe to save is soup. This is where we get those veggies in, folks! Literally any vegetable you like can be thrown into a pot (or instant pot) with bone broth and simmered on the stove for as long as you like. I love to use that cute mix from Trader Joe’s with the onions, carrots and celery and then add in cabbage and chives. You can put any type of noodles or meat in, too, and don’t forget to season it with some of that garlic salt! Putting your special soup in mason jars is also pretty aesthetic and you can save them pre-portioned for later or even share them with your friends. 

No matter what you decide to eat, it is so, so important for you to put yourself first. School will get stressful and most likely difficult, but your health should always be most important. I hope you found these recipes easy and that I’ve inspired you to add some fruits and veggies to your fridge!

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.