We Stuffed Our Faces At The First Annual California Pizza Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We had the amazing opportunity to attend L.A.’s first annual California Pizza Festival! With over 20 pizzerias participating in the festival, there was a never-ending supply of pizza for everyone. Each pizzeria had their own tent that gave off unique and friendly atmospheres. Here is a taste of just a few of our favorite booths and what they had to offer.

To start off, we had a slice of classic Margherita pizza from Pizzeria Gorizia. This Italian restaurant, located in Campania, dedicates its time and resources to bringing its clients authentic and delicious cuisine made from the freshest local ingredients.

The slice of simple Margherita pizza was refreshing and you could taste every single ingredient – from the juicy cherry tomatoes to the crisp arugula. You could really taste the hard work that went into crafting such a traditional pizza. Baldoria was our top pick for creativity and uniqueness. They did not come to play when it came to their signature Baby Octopus. Atop the thin crust were pieces of charred octopus, caramelized cipollini onions and a refreshing radicchio cream sauce. There was a notable contrast between the strong, charred flavor of their octopus pizza with their ultra creamy Yukon Gratin pizza that came with soft slices of Yukon gold potatoes and a delicious drizzle of truffle oil that paired nicely with the thyme and garlic seasonings!

We were serious about the never-ending supply of pizza. At a certain point, we had to assert self-control before we put ourselves into a self-induced pizza coma!

Another mouthwatering find that truly impressed us was the heavenly slice of fig and truffle pizza from Ray and Stark’s Bar. The crust was light and crisp, and that paired nicely with the creaminess of the mozzarella and roasted figs.  Each slice of pizza was sprinkled with edible gold, giving it a luxurious look. The finishing touch of balsamic vinegar on the side elevated the pizza to another level, making this our favorite slice at the festival!

We eventually took a breather from all that hard work eating pizza and decided to sit in on Chef Leo Spizzirri‘s cooking demo. He reminded us of a young Emeril Lagasse with his enthusiastic and animated mannerisms. With each cooking step, he engaged with the audience and by the end of his set, he showed us how to make a beautiful gluten-free pizza topped with luscious dollops of burrata cheese.    

Also, a huge congrats to Kristine and her pal Anna for winning the Her Campus at UCLA contest and scoring free tickets to every pizza lover’s dream! 

By the time we left, we were stuffed and happy. You could tell each pizzeria was passionate about their unique craft and was dedicated to ensuring that every customer left with satisfied. We can’t wait to see what the second annual California Pizza Festival brings! 

UCLA 2020 Pamela is a Feature Writer for the UCLA Chapter of Her Campus. When Pamela isn't stressing over exams you can find her obsessing over skin care routines, reading POC-centered novels, and attempting to exercise. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.