We Need To Talk About the Grammys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Last weekend was insane with the 64th annual Grammy’s celebration and I think it is time that we all have a debriefing for all that the night was.

Let’s start with the red carpet itself. Everyone was dressed to the nine’s with gorgeous looks from Doja Cat, Olivia Rodrigo and Saweetie. These dresses were absolutely gorgeous, with long trains flowing down the red carpet and looks showcased from Versace and Dior. My personal favorite of the night came from St Vincent, who was dressed in a beautiful, flowy Gucci gown. Her pink details made her pop as she strutted the runway.

photo via @st_vincent

Throughout the night we were shocked by the winners, but first, let’s get into the performances. Billie Eilish left us shaking with her chilling performance of “Happier Than Ever”, paying special tribute to the Foo Fighters. And I think all of us were shocked when we saw Taeyhung from BTS whisper something saucy into Olivia Rodrigo’s ear before taking the stage to perform “Butter.” 

But now the real tea of the night: the winners. There were definitely some names that I was a bit shocked to see and some really close calls. With artists like Doja Cat, Billie Eilish, Justin Bieber and Silk Sonic, the competition was incredibly tough.

Best New Artist

The new artist category had a lot of amazing new artists such as Arlo Parks and Japanese Breakfast, but I would be lying if I didn’t say that I expected the winner to be the one and only Olvia Rodrigo herself. She has had an amazing year with her career and is redefining a new generation of pop. She is breaking records with her album Sour and is winning all of the world’s hearts. She is following in the footsteps of her idol Taylor Swift, and we couldn’t be prouder!

Album of the Year

Okay, now this really was the biggest shock of the night to me. I have heard some of his discography and his work is beautiful, but he was definitely an underdog when placed against leaders in the music industry such as Ye, Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber. The albums that were nominated were all top tier, and I even had a hard time deciphering which one I hoped would win. Jon Batiste truly made his name stand out as he accomplished this major win!

Song of the Year

Song of the Year highlights standout songwriters and compositions for songs. The options for song of the year were once again really close. So many of these songs were on repeat on my playlists. My personal winner would have been “Happier Than Ever” because this song is dark, yet beautiful. It has an entrancing lead-up to its guitar-heavy climax that keeps you hooked. Another honorable mention is of course Olivia Rodrigo’s “Driver’s License.” The story behind this song with Joshua Bassett tugged at all of our heartstrings when it came out. The winner of the night was “Leave the Door Open” by Silk Sonic, and I can say with confidence I am not at all let down by this one. The song brought back ’70s beats and had a smooth melodic rhythm to it that kept people listening to it over and over again. It perfectly blended R&B and pop in the best way.

Record of the Year

And while we’re on the subject of “Leave the Door Open,” this song also won the award for record of the year. Record of the Year is similar to Song of the Year, except it credits everyone in the production process from the artists to sound engineers. There was a lot of overlap between Song of the Year nominees and record of the year nominees including “Leave the Door Open” by Silk Sonic, “Drivers License” by Olivia Rodrigo, “Peaches” by Justin Bieber ft. Daniel Caesar and Giveon, “Montero” by Lil Nas X, “Happier Than Ever” by Billie Eilish, and “Kiss Me More” by Doja Cat ft SZA. 

But, with all these incredible records, Silk Sonic winning both Song of the Year and Record of the Year was a major feat for the blossoming group. With Bruno Mars and Anderson Pakk, they definitely have some reputation upholding them, but the group only debuted in 2021. Winning both of these titles gained them major points in the music game.

And with that, the 2022 Grammy’s have come to a close and we now have to wait patiently for the 65th Annual Awards to come around. Just enough time for new music to be released, and to keep our radars out for what will be the next “Record of the Year” or perhaps the next “Best New Artist.” Until then, we will all be on the edge of our seats.

Hi :) My name is Jade and I am a second year at UCLA! I am a double major in communications and cognitive science and I am super excited to be apart of Her Campus