Valentine’s Day…Why?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

For me, Valentine’s Day isn’t about all the “mushy gushy” romance; it’s JUST about the candy. I highly anticipate that time of the year when whole aisles of Walmart and Target are filled with candy…when the shelves are transformed into sugary explosions of chocolate and pure joy. I’ve always been single on Valentine’s Day; that’s why this commercial holiday is just about the candy for me. I don’t mope around, and no I’m not a bitter grumpy cat. I’m glad that I’m not involved in the whole Valentine’s Day shebang. When my friends make a big deal out of Valentine’s Day or are stressed as the day draws near, I always wonder why they get so worked up about a singular day… I know I’m being a Debbie Downer, but I really don’t have a romantic bone in my body. I would really rather just wrap myself in blankets, sip hot cocoa, and watch Netflix for hours or have a girl’s night with my friends.  I can relate to Dr. Cristina Yang from Grey’s Anatomy in that I hate cheesy romantic movies, cliché love stories, and unoriginal, cheesy holiday cards. To me, there shouldn’t be just one day to show that special someone some extra love. Valentine’s Day was created solely for commercial gain (sorry to ruin the illusion), and I feel like the holiday should not impose its “social limits” on those whom people choose to show affection and appreciation for. Family, friends, and yes, pets, need that extra lovin’. Sure it’s nice to have a day to appreciate someone you love, but there shouldn’t just be ONE day to show extra love to the people that you love. The concept of Valentine’s Day should be applied to everyday life.  To all of those single girls out there, you’re not missing out on much; I would much rather prefer to treat myself or my friends on Valentine’s Day instead. I know many of you don’t want to hear this, but in my opinion, Valentine’s Day is pretty overrated. I mean, who really wants to get shot with an arrow by a man wearing nothing but a diaper? 

From Mississippi to California! Freshman at UCLA :) Class of 2017! Go Bruins! Writer at Her Campus UCLA, member of Tri Delta!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.